5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

thanks @chickengirl1193
 ! congrats to you too!

I was ecstatic to find yet another egg from my girl that laid yesterday AND to find a beautiful green egg the same size! this is crazy! birds laying their first egg within days from eachother!!! im so proud of my baby who laid her first green egg! I bred those birds myself using my own birds I hatched then I hatched them myself and got their very first egg.....such a great feeling it gives me!

the large green egg is the egg she hatched from. she is a bantam LF cross so she apparently is bantam sized and lays a bantam egg and im just tickled pink!!!

:weee

Last edited:
@ronott1 thanks for the tag tip.

I guess @bantambury is the first one of the club with eggs from NYD chicks. Am I right about this?
A couple of the 14 pullets are getting larger redder combs. It's 20 weeks right now. I've been keeping them on a shorter day though so I'm expecting eggs in about 3 weeks.

@ronott1 thanks for the tag tip.

I guess @bantambury is the first one of the club with eggs from NYD chicks. Am I right about this?
A couple of the 14 pullets are getting larger redder combs. It's 20 weeks right now. I've been keeping them on a shorter day though so I'm expecting eggs in about 3 weeks.

It worked! I was notified by email.

I hope the pullets start laying soon for everyone.

Been kinda quiet. Mine have not started laying yet, How are yours laying ?

Wow, I thought I was the last one to get eggs from mine. I sold off some but still have 12 pullets from that hatch and got my first egg 2 days ago. What's that, 24 weeks?

The advantage of keeping them on lower light and delaying onset of lay is that the eggs are bigger and can be incubated from the get go.
The first egg was 54 grams but a little too light.
I moved half of them in with my best rooster. I have to relocate/cull 4 older hens to make room in that coop for the rest.

Last edited:
Wow, I thought I was the last one to get eggs from mine. I sold off some but still have 12 pullets from that hatch and got my first egg 2 days ago. What's that, 24 weeks?

The advantage of keeping them on lower light and delaying onset of lay is that the eggs are bigger and can be incubated from the get go.
I moved half of them in with my best rooster. I have to relocate/cull 4 older hens to make room in that coop for the rest.

I ate the cockerels and sadly the one pullet was pecked to death.

I have more in the incubator though.

I have a light on timer that goes on little before sunset and goes out at 10pm , Im expecting eggs any day now.

Back
Top Bottom