6-Day Old Chick is Panting

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Songster
9 Years
Jan 11, 2011
Colorado Plains
Last weekend we hatched (ok, Joe incubated for us, and hatched), some chicks from our black australorp roo and our blackie girls and egger girls. One of the 6 that hatched is a little blue/grey ee who I'm very concerned about.

BooBoo (her name) doesn't want to drink much, eats a little but for the most part, just stands (or lays) there, panting. She had pasty butt this morning, which we took care of. She has a very strong loud heartbeat (put my ear to her little body) and Hubby thought he heard a click in her breathing.

I've separated her from the other 5 chicks (they were picking on her). She's in a small plastic shoe-box tub with food and water. I put a little bit of sugar in the water. The tub has a heating pad underneath (set on medium) and the whole set up is on my bed so I can watch her tonight.

Here's a video at my website (I don't know how to upload videos here).
http://vikkisverandah.blogspot.com/2011/02/chick-needs-help.html

Please please please tell me what might be wrong with her, and what I can do for her.

I just went to bed down the chickens and goats, and when I came back, she'd moved to the little water thingy, with her head resting beside it. Hoping she took a drink.

She's still panting.

Help!?

Sorry to see this. I don't know what it is, but have lost chicks to the same thing. In fact just lost a wee one this morning who I held until she had passed. It's hard to stand by and watch, hope she comes out all right. But you never know with the litter ones, seems like one moment they are fine and then they are having issue's.

I know you probably have this covered, but just in case you might want to check your temps with a thermometer. Mine pant (and not all of them pant) when it's too hot.

Here are temperature recommendations:
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html

I too have brooded a lot of chicks...and just the other day forgot to check temps - my little guys spent the night about 10 degrees colder than recommended. I remembered the next day...they were ok thank God.

I have 8 month old ladies; three bantam barred rocks and two bantam golden seabrights - all very laying very nicely. We have had temps in the teens for weeks here in lil Rhode Island. The sea brights stopped laying right after the last snow storm two weeks ago. Three days ago the runt of the litter, my little sb started to act sluggish, ruffled feathers, stays under the coop, won't come out from under the run to free range. I checked the symptoms online and figured it was stuck egg. Gave her the warm bath and the massage yesterday but still not the same little girl, not interested in eating or drinking. Today another warm soak, massage, used syringe to squirt water in her beak, gave her 1/2 tsp of yogurt. I separated her from the rest and brought her into the shed in pet carrier with woodstove going, fresh hay, food and water. Please someone help, don't want to lose her.

Mom to three teen boys, one crazy mean hotdog/jack russell mix, 3 barred rocks and 2 goldies.

Quote:
===========
Was at 90 degrees so should be ok. Right?

Holding her in left hand while typing w/rt.

90 sounds perfect for the first week- but can she get away to a lower temp. if needed? It's just food for thought...no need to answer me! A lot of people have their chicks not desiring the "classic temps."

Last edited:
Quote:
=======
No offense, veritas2787, but please start a thread for your girl. While the symptoms are similar, mine is a baby. And she's fading fast.

I tried to add another chick to this isolation tub, but he stepped on her neck. Now she's just sitting on a tissue on my lap. Thanks, ChickensAreSweet... No clue what the temp is, but I'm sure it's close to 90 something because I myself run hot.

Still panting, barely moving. Dipped her head in the water and she lifted her head to swallow but when she bent down, it all dribbled out.

I think she's close.

Anybody?

Back
Top Bottom