60 weeks and now a blue egg????

Catstar68

Songster
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Franklinton, NC
I have 3 lovely EEs that are 60 weeks old in a mixed flock of BOs, BAs, BRs, from same hatchery order. I have a total of 11 hens and one enthusiastic rooster.
roll.png

Everyone began laying at around 26 weeks - or so I thought! I will consistently get 5 - 9 eggs a day from the girls. Some day I get 2 green eggs but never have I gotten 3 in one day. I assumed that one of the EEs was laying a light brown/pinkish egg with speckles but I never really found out who is laying what. I thought everyone would be laying by now but.....COULD SOMEONE HAVE JUST STARTED???? AT 60 WEEKS?
I got a pretty little BLUE egg today.
th.gif

40731_chickens_092.jpg

Here it is at the 6 o'clock position. It is BLUE. A beautiful pastel blue. Now, I know I'm not crazy (mostly). Chickens do not change their egg colors.
Being a scientific type I felt the need to subject it to a test so we performed a cat scan.
The green egg is the 'control'.

40731_chickens_094.jpg

Mojo says it's blue. I question his ability to even see colors but it was the best I could do, DBF is at work.
idunno.gif

The egg to the right of the blue one is the one I THOUGHT the 3rd EE was popping out.
So here's the question:
Do you really think I have an EE that has produced her first egg at 60 weeks of age? I mean, better late than never but that is just totally slacker! I do have a very pretty partridge colored EE that the rooster does seem to leave alone, prefering the others in the flock much more. Is she a late bloomer?
I'm thrilled over the blue egg!
celebrate.gif

What do you think?

Last edited:
oh wow! what a BLUE BLUE egg it is too! maybe she WAS a late bloomer. and maybe your roo KNEW!?

bizzarre! and congrats on the blue egg! Now you REALLY have an easter basket!

Quote:
Thanks! I just hope she keeps laying and doesn't fizzle out. I think it's the partidge EE but not really sure. Now I worry that something may be wrong. Everyone seems healthy and happy though!

I do know that my green EE layer sometimes turns out a blue egg. And the inside of her shells are generally bluer than the outside. Could your green layer be doing the same?

Quote:
The idea of that did cross my mind, I wondered if the recent addition of ACV to their water was to blame. But this egg is so much different - even in shape. It's rounder, smaller than my usual greens.
hu.gif

beautiful egg!!!! I don't think it is impossible that you have a very late bloomer......my EE was over 40 weeks old for 1st egg but eventaully decided to give up the goods - light sage green, always perfectly shaped. I don't think the color would change that significantly, maybe darker or lighter in tone, maybe more or less speckled. I don't know if it's possible to go from a green to a blue like yours. Not sure though....Congrats though on the gorgeous egg, your 'inspector' hopefully gave approval as well
big_smile.png

That is a very interesting story. time will tell with the eggs please keep this post going with updates of future laying we are interested in the outcome. you could forgive her slackyness if shes going to give blue eggs LOL

Back
Top Bottom