6th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2015 Hatch-A-Long

@Peep_Show It's amazing how quickly they grow! My 6 are now in the starter house where they're able to free-range through the day. We ended up with 4 pullets and 2 cockerels. Our cockerels have been crowing for a couple of weeks now. They're all beautiful! I keep meaning to take pics but things are a bit crazy now. I'm hoping to post some pics of our dino-birds later this week with their Ameraucana housemates. But I have a decision to make.

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep these 10 as a separate flock or start integrating them into the main flock. The Ameraucanas should be integrated on the 31st but I just can't decide what to do.

Also, we have the 12 buff brahmas that my father surprised us with last month and they need to go outside soon as well as the 2 ducklings my mother surprised us with. And, to top that all off, our neighbor has to move and wants us to take her 7 chickens because she wants to make sure they're taken care of. So our flock is exploding!!!

With all of the new arrivals, our chicken count has gone from 32 to 61! :hmm And our lonely duck will have two new friends. Perhaps she'll finally realize that she's a duck and not a chicken! LOL Of course, the two ducklings are in with the brahmas, so they're likely to be just as confused. LOL
would love to see your brahma :) look forward to seeing the pictures when ya get a chance :)

Don't know if anybody's still out there on this thread, but Solo (now known as Little Leeza) the first chick hatched on NYD and winner of the BYC contest laid her first egg today!

It weighed in at 1.59 oz (a Small), but I was amazed at how dark it is. Could I have another olive egger? She's a farmers market egg of unknown parentage (suspected Ameraucana x RIR). I've not had much experience with green eggs, so not sure how to call the color.

Don't know if anybody's still out there on this thread, but Solo (now known as Little Leeza) the first chick hatched on NYD and winner of the BYC contest laid her first egg today!

It weighed in at 1.59 oz (a Small), but I was amazed at how dark it is. Could I have another olive egger? She's a farmers market egg of unknown parentage (suspected Ameraucana x RIR). I've not had much experience with green eggs, so not sure how to call the color.

That is a very nice egg!

Don't know if anybody's still out there on this thread, but Solo (now known as Little Leeza) the first chick hatched on NYD and winner of the BYC contest laid her first egg today! It weighed in at 1.59 oz (a Small), but I was amazed at how dark it is. Could I have another olive egger? She's a farmers market egg of unknown parentage (suspected Ameraucana x RIR). I've not had much experience with green eggs, so not sure how to call the color.
Looks olive to me
263a.png

How are those TJ's doing, Ron? Good egg size? Have the australorps started laying yet?
Two of the TJ's pullets are laying--I sold one of them though. The one that is laying lays an almost large egg nearly each day--bigger than most pullet eggs. There are more looking like they are ready to lay eggs so I will have to go on an egg hunt soon.

The Australorps have not started laying yet. I sold one of them(was not a good color or shape) so I have a very pretty splash and one black pullet. I did keep a pretty blue cockerel.

Sorry, still haven't got the pics but my dino-birds are now in with the main flock. We've lost 7 of our Brahmas to predation along with one of our ducks. It's been a mess recently.
1f622.png
. It's heartbreaking.

Sorry, still haven't got the pics but my dino-birds are now in with the main flock. We've lost 7 of our Brahmas to predation along with one of our ducks. It's been a mess recently.
1f622.png
. It's heartbreaking.

I am so sorry to hear about the predators!

Did you get rid of them?

Back
Top Bottom