6th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2015 Hatch-A-Long

0.jpg

babies are getting big....anyone care to offer sexing opinions?

hahaha! Good for you! I'm waiting for the Easter Hal.(I still haven't told my Hubby, though).

Oh, and that jumping on the shoulder thing is cute when they are little, but as full grown chickens it's like "Raptor Atttack!" . Wherever I'm outside, the hens follow me and anytime I bend over or kneel down, suddenly, claws on the back of my neck! Lol!
yes I could see how that could be a problem had the same thought havent encouraged them to do it

Finally the NYD hatch is out of the brooder on the back porch and in their brand new grow out pen. DH refers to it as a "chicken half-way house". He did a great job! It is 8X8X4.

Finally the NYD hatch is out of the brooder on the back porch and in their brand new grow out pen. DH refers to it as a "chicken half-way house". He did a great job! It is 8X8X4.

If you add some nest boxes and tarp the sides(leave the front open), that would be a fine coop!

Here is one of my NYD hatchlings and a younger sibling from my next batch.
smile.png

Their blue easter Eggers made with an australorp and a Splash easter egger.
They are stunning!

Pleas post egg pictures when they start laying.

Last edited:
Hey all, I know it's been awhile but we've had a very harsh few months.

Family tragedy, Horrific temperatures and bad snow so I've just not been online much at all. It's great to see the thread is still so active though!!!

My Dino-Birds are amazing!!!

A recap:

We crossed our BA rooster (Big Daddy Crow) with our mixed flock of RIR's, BR's and Ameraucanas. The results are amazing!!! We also had 4 pullets that I hatched out on 11/25/14 which came from our Ameraucana Roosters.

So our 4 pullets are 15.1 weeks old and our Dino-Birds are 9.9 weeks old.

The Dino-Birds tower over the Ameraucans already!

That's part of the reason that I call them Dino-Birds. The other part is they can't walk, they literally stomp! Especially when they're playing around! LOL

I just took them off of the starter feed and put them on finisher so both of flocks are cohabitating now and have settled in nicely together. Of course, in about 3 weeks, the 4 pullets will go in with the adults so we'll see how that goes.

And just when I thought I had a final bird count and was making the necessary plans for coop expansion, my dad shows up with 12 buff brahma chicks!!!
ep.gif

So, that meant re-calculating everything! Now, I know a lot of people think that feathered feet are cute and whatnot, however I am not one of those people.

I personally think that they just look bad but I'm sure that my opinion will change somewhat at least as time goes by. I've only ever seen pics of feathered-feet breeds so I'll just have to see if seeing them in person will make a difference.

Anyway, so now, calculations are done, new housing space plans are in process and what happens??? Mom and Dad show up again, this time with 2 ducklings!!! really? ducks now??? They said it's because our 1 duck needs company too. That duck thinks she's a chicken and I'm sort of worried that adding two more ducks will encourage her (and them) to take to the waterways. That means going to the neighbors which means duck droppings along the neighbors banks...where their kids are sure to play in the summer. <sigh> We'll have to see how this goes.

Anyway, so that's the update. I'll hopefully post pics of the Dino-Birds soon. :)

Take care and be back soon!

~Robert

Back
Top Bottom