6th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2015 Hatch-A-Long

Had one from my L-series pip a few hours ago. Pardon me while I do a little jig.

MrsB
wee.gif

Yep...im praying they do!! So...anybody got a higher 100% hatchrate yet??

I got 12 out of 13 in my first batch. Now for the ones that came a day late. I hear one chirping really loud..I'm not sure I've ever heard one that loud before..but then again, these are barred rocks, or barred mixes. I was hoping the barred mix would calm down the talking. I must have a pure in there. They said I could get either, pure, or mixed. I want one so bad, but we have close neighbors, so I need chickens that aren't so loud when they talk to me. It would be ok if it was just while I was out there, but man, the barred rocks that I've had talk and go on even when I'm not out there. Not sure anyone else has had this with theirs.

I love seeing all the photos!! They really help learn what to expect as mine slowly start to progress. All the chicks are so cute, congrats to everyone with pips, zips and chicks. Keep the updates coming!!! (I'm reading all your posts, but quoting them is hard to keep up!)

I have some news, finally! Earlier this morning, one of my eggs had an external pip. It's more in the middle of the egg, but towards the wrong end. No blood or goo, so I *think* everything looks ok so far. I haven't heard any peeping or any noise yet from any of them. I'm soo nervous, but trying very hard to distract myself by following all of your posts.

jumpy.gif
wee.gif
caf.gif
<- someone posted this earlier, and it is exactly what I have been doing!!

Here is my photo of the first pip... (my eggs were set in the afternoon of 12/12, so I'm a day behind everyone) The line around the point of the egg is not really there, I think it was something on the surface of the incubator. The air cell is at the other end.

That's the wrong end..looks like it's at the wide end, and in a good spot..maybe just the angle of the shot? And, I'm right here with you. I set some eggs a day later too..because they came later. :D I am hearing noise in there, but not seeing a pip yet.

My little Australorp is lonely. I hope another hatches soon to keep it company!

That is going to be a very pretty color of blue!

I love seeing all the photos!! They really help learn what to expect as mine slowly start to progress. All the chicks are so cute, congrats to everyone with pips, zips and chicks. Keep the updates coming!!! (I'm reading all your posts, but quoting them is hard to keep up!)

I have some news, finally! Earlier this morning, one of my eggs had an external pip. It's more in the middle of the egg, but towards the wrong end. No blood or goo, so I *think* everything looks ok so far. I haven't heard any peeping or any noise yet from any of them. I'm soo nervous, but trying very hard to distract myself by following all of your posts.

jumpy.gif
wee.gif
caf.gif
<- someone posted this earlier, and it is exactly what I have been doing!!

Here is my photo of the first pip... (my eggs were set in the afternoon of 12/12, so I'm a day behind everyone) The line around the point of the egg is not really there, I think it was something on the surface of the incubator. The air cell is at the other end.

The chick should be fine. One problem with drawing the air cell at lockdown is that the air cell will grow a bunch during the last three days. If the chick had missed the air sack, there would be blood or goo coming out.

Go chickies!

Last edited:
Heya Fellow Broodies! Here are the pictures of the 5 I have right now. I went to bed last night with 4 chicks and 2 pips. I woke up this morning to 5 chicks and the 1 remaining pip had apparently pipped into a vein because there was a streak of dried blood running down the egg and into the cardboard carton. :(

I had a massive headache so I just went back to bed for awhile, now I have another pip. But I also have a problem that I remembered this morning.

The headache was because...I am allergic to chicken feathers. I always have been and with the 5 new ones and the 4 older ones all in my room, that just makes for serious sinus build up but what can I do? Get rid of the birds? Give up my love of these little wonders? Nah, I'll just suffer through the headaches until it's warm enough to put them outside. They're worth it!!!

Big Daddy Crow's new babies!!!

This was the first to hatch, pure black, just like daddy!!!

These are still not entirely fluffed out yet. They have dried on ick but they'll fluff soon enough.

This little one is our last one to hatch...so far.

And now the individuals!

Congratulations to all who have had healthy hatches so far! To those whose hatches have suffered, my heart goes out to you and the little ones that gave it their all! To those who have had no hatches, I am so sorry! Don't give up hope yet though, late hatches aren't uncommon. And to those who have been here just for the fun and education, I hope you've learned a lot and truly enjoyed yourselves!!!!

This has been a great learning experience for me as well! Thank you to @ronott1 for hosting this wonderful HAL!!! Thanks, @Cynthia12 for the awesome profile enhancements!!! Thank you, @Amberjem for your positively contagious personality. Thanks, @bamadude for your mildly off-color humor. Thank you, @idiotswife for tolerating @bamadude . And lastly, thank you everyone for making this little old West Virginia recluse feel a part of something bigger than himself!!!

You've all truly made this an enjoyable and wonderful experience. I can't wait until we do it all again!!!

Peace and Love!!!

by the way, this isn't the last you'll hear from me in here. I just wanted to make sure you all knew how great this has been.
wink.png

Heya Fellow Broodies! Here are the pictures of the 5 I have right now. I went to bed last night with 4 chicks and 2 pips. I woke up this morning to 5 chicks and the 1 remaining pip had apparently pipped into a vein because there was a streak of dried blood running down the egg and into the cardboard carton. :(

I had a massive headache so I just went back to bed for awhile, now I have another pip. But I also have a problem that I remembered this morning.

The headache was because...I am allergic to chicken feathers. I always have been and with the 5 new ones and the 4 older ones all in my room, that just makes for serious sinus build up but what can I do? Get rid of the birds? Give up my love of these little wonders? Nah, I'll just suffer through the headaches until it's warm enough to put them outside. They're worth it!!!

Big Daddy Crow's new babies!!!

This was the first to hatch, pure black, just like daddy!!!

These are still not entirely fluffed out yet. They have dried on ick but they'll fluff soon enough.

This little one is our last one to hatch...so far.

And now the individuals!

Congratulations to all who have had healthy hatches so far! To those whose hatches have suffered, my heart goes out to you and the little ones that gave it their all! To those who have had no hatches, I am so sorry! Don't give up hope yet though, late hatches aren't uncommon. And to those who have been here just for the fun and education, I hope you've learned a lot and truly enjoyed yourselves!!!!

This has been a great learning experience for me as well! Thank you to @ronott1 for hosting this wonderful HAL!!! Thanks, @Cynthia12 for the awesome profile enhancements!!! Thank you, @Amberjem for your positively contagious personality. Thanks, @bamadude for your mildly off-color humor. Thank you, @idiotswife for tolerating @bamadude . And lastly, thank you everyone for making this little old West Virginia recluse feel a part of something bigger than himself!!!

You've all truly made this an enjoyable and wonderful experience. I can't wait until we do it all again!!!

Peace and Love!!!

by the way, this isn't the last you'll hear from me in here. I just wanted to make sure you all knew how great this has been.
wink.png
Did you take an allergy pill?

Thanks to everyone too!

The chicks are very pretty!
woot.gif

Last edited:
Did you take an allergy pill?

Thanks to everyone too!

The chicks are very pretty!
woot.gif

Oh yeah, I always have sinus pills nearby. It's just one of those things. Since the birds are usually outside, I only get the headaches when we have babies in the brooders so I usually forget about it until then. lol

Thank you about the chicks! I'll be sure to pass on the sentiment!

By the way, you should write a how-to book on incubating! You've been positively priceless with your help!

Back
Top Bottom