7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

THIS MINI MAGLITE ROCKS!
I havent had any BCM's to try yet but RIR and Sexlinks I have NO problem with
Around$20 and the size is PERFECT for candling
Comes in handy on the farm instead of dragging around my 4D cell fullsize

This is what I use as well. They work fantastically! When candling BCM this light allows you to watch the air cell for size and sometimes you can see movement. I use duct tape, taped to the light end of the flashlight to funnel the light and allows the egg to rest perfectly against it with out the accidental bump and crack of the hard flash light.

Last edited:

Here are my new 11, I got from my neighbors farms (my rooster was not breeding my hens) same kinds I hatched out last group minus the RIR. These farms had 2 or more roosters on the hens and the eggs have more activity (candled) even fresh than my eggs did.

the 5 egg carton the dad is most likely blue EE over leghorn and production reds. the six egg carton is cochin rooster and blue frizzle rooster over cochins and blue frizzles. I had given this lady the blue frizzles, so they are kinda from my coop.

due 30th or so.

I just bought a dozen kahki campbell eggs! Never incubated ducks before but ive always wanted to
smile.png
wont make it into this hatchalong
1f615.png
That is exciting!

My eggs got here!
celebrate.gif

Let the incubating begin!

Out of my first hatch I only had 1 hatch and live. He is doing great in his brooder and we give him lots of company with stuffed animals and ourselves but we can't find any new hatches around us to put with him. When our HAL ones hatch he will be 5 weeks. I'm worried that he will be put out with our others by his self as I've never introduced new chicks to them before. Would he be ok if I kept him in the brooder until all new hatches are ready to go out even though he will be 5 weeks bigger than them? Also I have duck eggs (I have no idea what I was thinking) but no adult duck. If I put them out with the chicks will their instincts kick in or will they be more chicken than duck?

Quote:

At noon on December 11, 2015(local time), people all over the world will be setting eggs with the goal of hatching out hundreds of cute little fuzz-butts all on the same day: New Year's Day 2016!

Quick question: As per first thread, noon on December 11....Is that central standard time? I just wanted to clarify.
hide.gif

Quote:

At noon on December 11, 2015(local time), people all over the world will be setting eggs with the goal of hatching out hundreds of cute little fuzz-butts all on the same day: New Year's Day 2016!

Quick question: As per first thread, noon on December 11....Is that central standard time? I just wanted to clarify.
hide.gif
I believe it is your local time.

Out of my first hatch I only had 1 hatch and live. He is doing great in his brooder and we give him lots of company with stuffed animals and ourselves but we can't find any new hatches around us to put with him. When our HAL ones hatch he will be 5 weeks. I'm worried that he will be put out with our others by his self as I've never introduced new chicks to them before. Would he be ok if I kept him in the brooder until all new hatches are ready to go out even though he will be 5 weeks bigger than them? Also I have duck eggs (I have no idea what I was thinking) but no adult duck. If I put them out with the chicks will their instincts kick in or will they be more chicken than duck?
my parents had chickens and ducks together.

If you need company for your bird, try your state forum. Maybe someone has a few extra chicks

I believe it is your local time.

Quote:

hide.gif
Yes! Noon your time, or a time that works best for you.

Back
Top Bottom