7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

36% is perfect!

Leave it alone for at least two days--humidity goes down at first.
Thank you!! I have a very young rooster that I'm not sure knows what he is doing. He's trying though!! I set some eggs in the incubator last Sunday (with an automatic egg turner). Haven't touched it since. It has STAYED at 36%. I'm going to candle them this weekend to see if my rooster really did figure things out. I do have 7 more to add tomorrow (for our hatch along).

I've candled the new eggs I'm going to add tomorrow, and I don't see anything - should I see something in there?

Thanks!

Thank you!! I have a very young rooster that I'm not sure knows what he is doing. He's trying though!! I set some eggs in the incubator last Sunday (with an automatic egg turner). Haven't touched it since. It has STAYED at 36%. I'm going to candle them this weekend to see if my rooster really did figure things out. I do have 7 more to add tomorrow (for our hatch along).

I've candled the new eggs I'm going to add tomorrow, and I don't see anything - should I see something in there?

Thanks!
No, you usually do not see anything for at least three days. Usually by day 7 you will see lots of veins in light colored eggs.

Watch the air cell development. At 36% humidity you are using a dry hatch--55% is a regular hatch humidity. Gone below 25% is associated with lower hatch rates.

I am back from walking to the local Whole Foods Store where I purchased two dozen packages of brown fertile eggs!

So far this hatch a long has cost me $8.00!

I hope I get my moneys worth.

lau.gif

That's so funny, 8 bucks? Way to go!

No fair, I need one of those stores near me!

Yes, that is correct. I've seen the fertile eggs before (hatched 1/23 traders joe eggs) and they will be clearly marked. Ask if they carry fertile eggs, and if not check around at all the organic food stores in your area.

Meet Joe the trader joe chick (plus an itty-bitty Texas A & M quail chick)
No fair! I want a store near by me. Have I said that yet??

Congratulations. Very nice chicks. Will lay great if girls right?

No, you usually do not see anything for at least three days. Usually by day 7 you will see lots of veins in light colored eggs.

Watch the air cell development. At 36% humidity you are using a dry hatch--55% is a regular hatch humidity. Gone below 25% is associated with lower hatch rates.

You may want to smack my patties..(hands) when I tell you what I do.

I candle 24 hrs. later.
hide.gif
That hiding is because not too many folks realize you can see if there is a big round dot floating around in there, and they will think I am crazy. You need to turn the egg very slowly. I've done this for yrs. now. I can tell by seeing if there are big dots in there started. Then, day two and three, you can't see anything usually. Sometimes on day two you can still see the big dot, but I leave them alone after the first day until day 7.

I am back from walking to the local Whole Foods Store where I purchased two dozen packages of brown fertile eggs!

So far this hatch a long has cost me $8.00!

I hope I get my moneys worth.

lau.gif

As you can see, ron will win the further-est shipped egg contest.
gig.gif

As you can see, ron will win the further-est shipped egg contest.
gig.gif
On the way home I am picking up two dozen Trader Joes fertile eggs.

Yes they are clearly marked as fertile. They come from Sanoma Counte CA so not far from there to the store either.

Back
Top Bottom