7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Seramas! Ducks! They are fun for sure. I am done hatching. Got four babies out of 6. Three SG's, and one white silkie that is still drying. The two that didn't make it, were also SG's. :/ They were so close to hatching too. Never know why.

Here are my babies so far..two whites, and a buff. Thought one was a paint..not so sure without any spots showing now. Will see if they show up later. I doubt it though. That's ok. They are cuties. Already have the buff one and the white silkie a home.

My camera..can't make up it's mind how it's lighting is going to show.
Congratulations on the hatch!

Thank you Ron, now for the HAL's. lol...8 going strong. Have had a few quitters, but she knew some were probably not fertile. That's ok, I'm getting a lot of chicks here!

I have stupid question can 2 silkies produce a show girl? I really want one I don't care what color as long it's a hen lol

Could, only, if there is a SG gene in there somewhere close by.
wink.png
Mom or Dad a SG? Meaning, mom or dad, of the mom or dad that you are using.

Last edited:
I think I have a quitter... I rechecked my questionables and one just doesn't look right - what is the difference between your quitters and your keepers?
I look for the veins to have dissolved and only a blurry blob is left. As long as there are well defined veins, I leave them in. Once they get to close to lockdown, it may be hard to see veins because of so much chick making it too dark to see. At that point, unless it smells or is weeping, it stays.

I think I have a quitter... I rechecked my questionables and one just doesn't look right - what is the difference between your quitters and your keepers?

Both of my quitters had very distinct blood rings. They'd also gone from pink/red/alive looking to yellowish/brownish/not right looking. My healthy eggs also have very visible embryos bouncing around in them.

When in doubt, leave it in :)

I really am lost. I have no idea what I'm doing. The HAL chicks all seem to be doing ok. But, I have a bunch from a Christmas hatch in there. One of those that was along the edge is further behind the HAL chicks in developing. There is no blood ring. So, I've rearranged everything and I'm hoping for dumb luck that something is going to hatch.

At this point, most of the eggs I have in there are supposed to hatch on 12/26.

I have 7 that should hatch on 1/1

I have 3 that will hatch a few days after the 1st. Of this group, I found 2 clears (I started with 5).

As long as there seems to be something moving in there and they have an air cell, I should move them into the second 'bator for lockdown on day 18? Even if it seems to be smaller than the HAL chicks? What's the longest it's taken a chicken to hatch?

Thanks!!!

I really am lost. I have no idea what I'm doing. The HAL chicks all seem to be doing ok. But, I have a bunch from a Christmas hatch in there. One of those that was along the edge is further behind the HAL chicks in developing. There is no blood ring. So, I've rearranged everything and I'm hoping for dumb luck that something is going to hatch.

At this point, most of the eggs I have in there are supposed to hatch on 12/26.

I have 7 that should hatch on 1/1

I have 3 that will hatch a few days after the 1st. Of this group, I found 2 clears (I started with 5).

As long as there seems to be something moving in there and they have an air cell, I should move them into the second 'bator for lockdown on day 18? Even if it seems to be smaller than the HAL chicks? What's the longest it's taken a chicken to hatch?

Thanks!!!
Yes, even if it looks too small to hatch, move it to lockdown on time but give it a couple extra days to hatch if it needs it. I can't tell you how many eggs I have put into lockdown thinking there is no way they will hatch only to have them hatch out as healthy chicks.

Yes, even if it looks too small to hatch, move it to lockdown on time but give it a couple extra days to hatch if it needs it. I can't tell you how many eggs I have put into lockdown thinking there is no way they will hatch only to have them hatch out as healthy chicks.

Thank you!! That makes me feel a lot better. I'm hoping I'm not a mass murderer at hatch time!!

Back
Top Bottom