7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

I got 3 hours sleep. At 5 chicks now.
I got more sleep last night. The chicks that hatched were quieter and the chicks in the brooder were under a brooder panel(Brinses) so they slept.

Got a total of 6 New Year's baby chicks! Jan 1, 2016
"Eve" hatched right after 12am (midnight)
2nd chick hatched at 4 am
3rd/4th chick hatched at 11 am
5th/6th chick hatched at 11:30 am
What great pictures!

I have 8 out, one zipping right now, 2 pipped since this morning, one that hasn't pipped that I'm worried about, and a while back I had an early quitter, and one baby got killed by one of our dogs by accident. Well, at least 11/14 are alive, 2 died, 1 unsure. Pretty good for a first hatch!
thumbsup.gif

Congrats on the 5 chicks!! Sleep is overrated!

Good Morning!!

Congrats to everyone else with Chickeis!!

I have 7 chicks!! All 7 HAL chicks hatched.

I still have 2 from the 12/26 hatch in the "bator, I candled them last night. they both have movement, but no chirping, so I might crack them today to see what is going on.

I have 6 that I slipped into the bator a couple days after the 11th, 2 of those were clear, but one of those pipped last night.

I have 12 that I set on 12/26. They looked good at day 7.

Thanks for everyone's help getting this far!
Will you stop hatching next Fall!

Love it!

This is what the hatch yielded

I still have quail eggs in there unhatched, I will wait maybe 2 days
Then im loading this sucker back up!
I need to go check on my hatch--Still had some not pipped.

Congratulations on the chicks!
clap.gif
So sorry about the one you lost.
hugs.gif
I hope the last ones hatch and do well for you.

I use Oxine to sanitize my incubators. I will activate it if I think I have a problem. I know a lot of people use a mild bleach solution to sanitize. What kind of incubator do you have?
I use lysol all purpose cleaner.

So, I removed a little bit of pecked shell around my troubled chick and moistened the membranes. Its definitely mal-positioned. Its breathing well, but not really able to turn or move much. The shell is very thick/dark and I did not mark the air bubble earlier.

I went to Lowes to pick up another maglight since my husband has ours for work. I had never candled before during the hatch...I'm still very novice -- when I see a bunch of veins and a chick mass, I am very happy (and may not be able to distinguish early quitters well).

Anyway, brought home the mag-light and candled all the remaining eggs - Oh what a difference it makes! I can see so much more clearly than I can with the "candling flashlight" I bought from incubator warehouse. I am pretty sure the others are quitters. There is a lot of space in the shell, I don't hear chirping anymore, and I cannot appreciate any internal pips. I think any movement I see is from my own unsteady hand. When I am very still, there is no movement.

There is only one air bubble I cannot see - the one from the troubled chick :-(I am also very hesitant working with the egg seeing and listening to the chick. The inner membrane is started to retract in from the shell. I cannot see blood vessels from the outside, just a white membrane. I've chipped the shell away a bit and remoistened the membranes, It was getting dry near the beak and sticking.

I also realized during this that I never unplugged the incubator vent at day 10. I never really knew you were supposed to and never did it before. oops. I unplugged the vent - and now the temperature and humidity are dropping some. I guess I can't change the past - but I'll do better next time. My eggs are barnyard mixes so I can easily get more. I just feel bad if my error caused unnecessary problems.

I have to catch up but I wanted to share that ALL of my eggs hatched!!
wee.gif

I'm so happy!! A few were a little slow and each time I checked on them throughout the night, I had good timing and got to see just as the chick pushed out!! I have 8 silkie babies!!

Oh wow, congratulations! I am waiting on fluffy photos. I am going to post photos later .. I caught the bug..Ugh! Will be resting most of the day. At least I waited until after the holidays to get this sick.

Good Morning all!

I went to bed with two pipped. Those hatched overnight and now I have two more pips.

What am I going to do with all these Chicks?

Better it an add ready.

That's what I asked you! What are you going to do with all of those chicks? Mine are adding up as I hatch. I keep my favorites, then hatch more. I wasn't going to hatch more after this hatch a long..remember?
lau.gif
Well I was serious..then my Bubba started being a man. I couldn't pass up what I will now have as great layers out in the yard come spring! RIR and sexlink mix, but one will be a RIR to RIR. Nice layers coming like I said.

Back
Top Bottom