7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

I lost 2 chicks.1 with spraddle leg and 1 just never came online.
This is the worst that I have had paste butt. I was feeding medicated but switched to regular this morning.
pasty butt comes from stress--Shipped eggs and chicks that hatch hard can have it. It is more common with shipped chicks.

Was your incubator temperature off?

I lost 2 chicks.1 with spraddle leg and 1 just never came online.
This is the worst that I have had paste butt. I was feeding medicated but switched to regular this morning.

Bummer on the chicks. I've lost one that just did not look good from the start. One more not strong but trying. Hard to give suggestions on paste butt however I've stopped using medicated several hatches ago and now my choice of bedding is plain old dirt from compost pile. They love their dust baths from about 4 days old. May not work for anyone else and you have to be careful what's in the dirt because they like to eat everything. I'll be giving some green grass with dirt on roots here soon and any small bugs I can find. Their wrestling matches are funny.

The salt and pepper shakers have arrived.
1f44d.png

Checked my thermometers and one was 3 degrees and the other 5 degrees off. Guess I didn't check them correctly last time? Double checked this time. SIL gave me a few eggs she didn't have room for in her incubator. Maybe better luck this time! Loved seeing all the pics of the hatched eggs! Thank you for hosting!

Checked my thermometers and one was 3 degrees and the other 5 degrees off. Guess I didn't check them correctly last time? Double checked this time. SIL gave me a few eggs she didn't have room for in her incubator. Maybe better luck this time! Loved seeing all the pics of the hatched eggs! Thank you for hosting!
Your Welcome!

I hope you have a great hatch!

Bummer on the chicks. I've lost one that just did not look good from the start. One more not strong but trying. Hard to give suggestions on paste butt however I've stopped using medicated several hatches ago and now my choice of bedding is plain old dirt from compost pile. They love their dust baths from about 4 days old. May not work for anyone else and you have to be careful what's in the dirt because they like to eat everything. I'll be giving some green grass with dirt on roots here soon and any small bugs I can find. Their wrestling matches are funny.
1 of mine just never started eating and drinking right.

Back
Top Bottom