7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

That's why I like my turner (AKA the youtube guy's homemade design); it moves the eggs back and forth across the bottom of the bator slowly while the eggs are on their sides.
Here's my incubator again. The metal you see across the top is what the motor sits on. It sits parallel to the bottom and the 360 degree motion of the turner is what slides the turner across the bottom.

As for temp: I second that. I noticed that, after my father hooked my bator up to a computer-controlled temperature control module, my hatch rate doubled, even with shipped eggs.
This is great! I agree with Sally, start a thread! Would love to see how this works. My DH can make anything. :)

Ok, this one is new to me? What? If they are fresh eggs, best if they are on their sides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Sunshine

why would you want the embryo to float to to air cell of the egg to grow if you can prevent it? a hen doesnt sit her eggs upright. just sayin... research it... Hatcheries incubate upright out of turning necessity. again think out of the box... we are not commercial hatcheries, I like to hand turn my eggs if I can, this time I have too may so they go in the big cabinet cooler. I wont have as good of hatch rates as I do in the others where I lay them flat. is it because of the bators or the positions and the fact that the membrane may not close on the bottoms of some of the eggs?? IDK probably a combanation of things... You have to do what is convenient for you, and what works FOR YOU! if you have something that WORKS DO IT! Just keep in mind that you can possibly improve in little ways, doing small things,,,,, keep an open mind, always try to think outside the box, sometimes what we learn from others may not be the whole story, just part of it, sometimes its not right for us but right for someone else in a different condition!

Hear, hear!!!
thumbsup.gif

Well, set my eggs. I have them laying down. If things get crazy busy again, will put them back into the turner at a later date. Not too worried about it, she gave me 18 eggs. Wow. I have a lot of chicks this winter. I don't normally hatch through the winter, just for the NYD hatch a long, those would be my only winter chicks. I got carried away, ey?

Whew...I'm having a hard time to keep up...(and I don't like posting several posts at a time. Makes me look like I'm hogging the thread)
hide.gif

I just want to say that I'm SOexcited for everyone receiving their shipped eggs, and getting their layed eggs, getting their incubators ready...and just in general getting everything ready!
wee.gif

I'm SO excited to be a part of this holiday hatch!! Just so freakin cool!!!!

celebrate.gif
wee.gif
pop.gif
love.gif
yesss.gif
woot.gif

(I just had to get that outta my system.)

gig.gif

This is my first attempt at hatching eggs. I have a still air incubator with a fan. With NO WATER in the thing, the humidity is at 36%. I live in an inland valley in Southern California - it's DRY HERE!!! How do I get the humidity level down? It has stayed steady at 36% for the past 2 weeks. Will a 36% humidity hurt them? Is there any way to lower the ambient humidity?

Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
why would you want the embryo to float to to air cell of the egg to grow if you can prevent it? a hen doesnt sit her eggs upright.  just sayin...  research it...  Hatcheries incubate upright out of turning necessity.  again think out of the box... we are not commercial hatcheries, I like to hand turn my eggs if I can, this time I have too may so they go in the big cabinet cooler.  I wont have as good of hatch rates as I do in the others where I lay them flat.  is it because of the bators or the positions and the fact that the membrane may not close on the bottoms of some of the eggs?? IDK probably a combanation of things... You have to do what is convenient for you, and what works FOR YOU!  if you have something that WORKS DO IT!  Just keep in mind that you can possibly improve in little ways, doing small things,,,,, keep an open mind, always try to think outside the box, sometimes what we learn from others may not be the whole story, just part of it, sometimes its not right for us but right for someone else in a different condition!

I have only ever hatched shipped eggs until now (i have a mix of shipped and home grown). I put mine in the bator early, bc i was worried about age and viability of the eggs. Its two days as of tonight, and ivwas going to add more from my swedes tonight too. Can i change from auto turner and lay them flat? I dont want to hurt the embryos that might be developing.

Yes, it is much easier to cantle them from the top and not remove them from an egg turner or carton.

Less likely to drop one too....it makes me sad when and egg is dropped.

I lost one my first hatch like this.
Careful as I tried to be
I wax sealed it, but I'm pretty sure the shock killed it.
It stopped development and I was heartbroken as I killed it

Back
Top Bottom