7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

These are the eggs Im doing unless one is laid tomorrow. How do I join the best hatch contest?

You may want to smack my patties..(hands) when I tell you what I do.

I candle 24 hrs. later.
hide.gif
That hiding is because not too many folks realize you can see if there is a big round dot floating around in there, and they will think I am crazy. You need to turn the egg very slowly. I've done this for yrs. now. I can tell by seeing if there are big dots in there started. Then, day two and three, you can't see anything usually. Sometimes on day two you can still see the big dot, but I leave them alone after the first day until day 7.

I saw mine floating/swimming around.
I probably candled too much then and am trying to limit it to days 7,10,14 and 18 this time.

I have read about people incubating double yolkers. I would rather buy a powerball ticket. Much better odds

:lau so very true.

Ruby, the dot will be different sizes.  I've seen them pretty big, and some are pretty small.  You just turn the egg, like I said, very slowly.  Not all the way around,  just to where you can see the shadow of the yolk, then move it gently to the right, then gently to the left, and you should see a floating dot if fertile. 

Ok, I will look after a full 24 hours. I am a candling addict, so hopefully I see it!! :fl

So my shipped silkie eggs arrived today, 3 look to have rolling aircells and the rest are ok. Should I keep them all upright ina carton for incubation, or just the ones with aircell problems?

I would. Give them better odds of firming up. Even if they look good, they are probably a tiny loose. I don't turn shipped eggs for 48 hours. The detached air cells you might want to go 3+ days without turning. They are really hard to hatch.

I've had Uglybator running 3 days now. We are GOOD TO GO! (I love our Uglybator)

I love my Coolerbator that Sally Sunshine/Rush Lane Poultry helped me make.
But I am leaving when the eggs are setting and wont be able to turn them.
I COULD take it with me, I have an Inverter...
But I would be ticked if someone slammed on the brakes.......
So I got a 2362N
Forced fan manual wafer with turner
But I dont have quail rails
Not sure how that ones gonna work out..

So far Ive managed to collect 11 eggsand will see if I get anymore by noon tomorrow!!! Waiting is hard lol...Im so excited!

That's the spirit!
I love my Coolerbator that Sally Sunshine/Rush Lane Poultry helped me make.
But I am leaving when the eggs are setting and wont be able to turn them.
I COULD take it with me, I have an Inverter...
But I would be ticked if someone slammed on the brakes.......
So I got a 2362N
Forced fan manual wafer with turner
But I dont have quail rails
Not sure how that ones gonna work out..

You have some time to get rails. They pop right in to replace the other rails.

Back
Top Bottom