7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Good Morning!
Congrats on the new chicks!
I have one that hatched yesterday morning, one that pipped late last night and has decided to take a coffee break (still chirpin, but not much zippin), and it looks like the other four that made lockdown quit.
sad.png
Thanks!! I'm sorry that the 4 quit!! Congrats on the 1 hatch and 1 pip!! Good luck to the pipper!

I did the sniff test and candled the 2 left over from 12/26 and I"m thinking maybe they belonged to the 1/1 or later batch. Since they are both still moving and they don't stink. One has a drawn down air cell. No chirping though. I'm giving them a few more days. I'm pulling out the dry chicks that hatched the past 2 days, only leaving the 2 latest hatchers in there to encourage the ones that aren't doing anything.

With a Black roo, and white hens - I don't know the color of their parents, but I seem to be getting some brown/black and some really brown. With the 1 blue hen I have, I'm guessing I got the true blacks and the 1 blue that I have. These are the ones still in the 'bator. I'll get better pictures when I take them out.

Happy Hatching everyone!!

Float tested my one egg, small part was above water, so I cracked open top of aricell to look around, looks completely intact, can't see movement, but I can see feathers from what I think is the wing, but it's hard to tell. Should I try to break air cell where I assume beak is?

The last that I think will hatch. #29 A little EE/Silkie mix. It has fuzzy shanks and a muff and beard.

That one and these 5 are my keepers, 4 EE with muffs/beards. 1 BLRW(mix? Pure is possible, looks pure to me) and one French blue copper maran(mix? Pure is possible, looks pure to me).

They are SO cute!!

Float tested my one egg, small part was above water, so I cracked open top of aricell to look around, looks completely intact, can't see movement, but I can see feathers from what I think is the wing, but it's hard to tell. Should I try to break air cell where I assume beak is?
If the egg did not move in the water, you do not see movement in the shell and you do not hear peeping, then go ahead and peel the chick out.

It is likely a late quitter. If so, you can do hatch analysis to see what happened. You can make future hatches better that way.

If the egg did not move in the water, you do not see movement in the shell and you do not hear peeping, then go ahead and peel the chick out.

It is likely a late quitter. If so, you can do hatch analysis to see what happened. You can make future hatches better that way.

Thank you. I hope it's alive, but I'm doubting it now. Everyone else pipped yesterday before 6 am.

Looks like he absorbed the yolk sack and everything. He did have the green poop stuff stuck to his butt, but it was neon green. I don't know if that had something to do with it. Either that or the yolk burst, but I don't know. We pulled it open after he was obviously not breathing or moving or anything. He never burst through air cell, and was positioned correctly.

Back
Top Bottom