8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

Tonight is day 18 and lockdown. Very excited and nervous. My daughter is staying with me and I'm very excited that she will hopefully get to experience the miracle of hatching. Good luck to all and happy hatching here in a few days!!!

@orrpeople
Very cute pips & peeps! Loving waiting & watching everyone's hatchlings
1f60d.png

Eggs are due Friday and today we have a power outage... temp got down to 88 but wasn't there long. This was the solution until we got the generator moved and setup lol. I think there was no damage done, we caught it pretty quick but still. This was the first time we attempted this solution.

Look what Penny1960 found me on CL!!! So grateful for her!!! My chickens will have better digs than me!

I want one!! lol great find!!

Hello, my name is Kathy and I went to a Christmas party last night and small-talked...about chickens. Point me in the direction of a recovery group.
Hello Kathy and welcome to hatchers anonymous

I'm sorry but there is no known cure! There is, however, a wonderful treatment plan. First learn about chicken math and then go out and buy a few chickens and a coop. Before you know it you will be happily absorbed into the chicken world and you won't even care that you are talking about chickens at all Christmas parties and any other social events that you attend.
big_smile.png
highfive.gif

Last night there was a 2 hour power cut! Incubator went ice cold......along with the egg (Remaining from when the cat 'attacked' the incubator) and when all heat was lost i grabbed the remaining egg and kept it against my skin....candled it....it was alive....as soon as the power came back on i chucked it in the incubator.....candled this morning....its alive...due to hatch an day...

We have a fighter!
Awesome!!

I know it's way too late for the NY Hal but Santa was really good to me this year and I'll be doing a practice run soon.
yesss.gif
Merry Christmas Ron, a Brinsea octagon 20. Haven't set up yet.
Awesome!!!

I have been busy baking and will start baking the lamb leg soon.

This is for dessert:

droolin.gif

Didn't count how many eggs I had movement in tonight, but there was movement in the 2 eggs I hadn't seen any in on day 10.
I should probably get the brooder set up... Never had more than 5 in it before. At least I shouldn't have to worry about finding a companion for a lonely chick
gig.gif
Yay!! Congrats!!

Yeah, no one wants just one...or ten
1f609.png
Sounds like a great plan, though. I set six eggs last night. Three more from my SLW, and 3 from my blue ameraucana. I'm hoping my little blue boy has gotten up the courage to try wooing the blue girl, I put them in a pen together (just the two of them) last week, so I'm hoping she decided to give him a chance. The SLW and my wheaten Am cockerel already get along, and they've been in a pen together about a week, too, so I really hope I'll have some fertile eggs from them this go around. I'm gonna set some more in about a week, just to keep testing for fertility, and see what happens. Wish me luck!!! And this:
1f423.png
fl.gif

Mixed feelings tonight. Eggs are looking good and in lockdown (remember, early shipment), but we had to cull one of our chicks from our Dec 1 hatch whose legs, no matter what we tried (and I feel like we tried just about everything) , just got worse and worse. Special thanks to @BantyChooks
for the support and great article on the most humane way to do this.
so sorry
hugs.gif
its never easy

Well guys I'm late to the party and not hatching this year but hopefully next new years I can join. In the meantime I'm going to live vicariously through all of you and sit on my hands so I don't mistakenly put some eggs under a broody silkie we currently have.
wink.png
our oldest chicks from a BYC friend are 5 weeks on Thursday and dh2b and I sorta agreed to wait until spring. Still chicks just break the monotony of the dead of winter up so well. ... Plus this morning we went out and found my 8 week old failure to thrive cuckoo Orpington chick that had finally been doing well the last few weeks dead this morning.
sad.png
what a bummer. Poor little thing. It looks like maybe it got squashed in a cuddle puddle although it had caught up and surpassed the size of the 4-5 week olds. Such is life. I have one more in the group of 4-5 week olds hopefully it's a pullet.

So everyone bring on the candling and hatching pics and stories sorry to take over the thread I'm just dieing here lol.
sorry
hugs.gif

Here's mine! 11 of em. Don't know breed at all. Or even species for sure on some of them..... Set 5 days ago for the biggest 2, 4 days ago for the other 9.
Very pretty!! what are the possible parents??

Although all of mine look good I made a major boo boo I
did not plug the turner in
ep.gif
everyone I candled last night looked good with movement
but now I will have to wait to see if anyone actually can hatch
idunno.gif
They may be fine! this happens a lot!

So, my husband isn't SURE, but he thinks he heard some cheeping today after the turner rolled, just before I left from work. I'm waiting for the hour to roll back around for me to take a listen. It seems a little early for that, yes?
it could be internals
fl.gif

try to find the person the photo belongs to and ask them, thats the best way

I know I was supposed to wait until tomorrow to remove the automatic turner, but I did it today because I will be busy tomorrow. I don't think that removing it 1 day early is going to matter any. Everything in there is still looking good so far. None of the 6 eggs in there are stinking or anything, so I'm hoping that all 6 of my new Splash and Blue Australorps will be popping out to see the New Year 2017 in!
fl.gif

Well, here's the early pipper- there's something so endearing about the tiny triangles of shells that stick to their backs!
And here he is dried off with the second. Black Sex Links- cockerels, I think.
Congrats!!!

Awwl, I needed that after I realized Im gonna have to euthanize my favorite pullet tonight
1f614.png
Baby chicks are so cute, and a reminder thats theres always new hope found in little ones!
so sorry
hugs.gif

Candled my eggs, down three: one was unfertile, one had a blood ring, and another quit.
So I'm down to 15 eggs and waiting, getting nervous. I have to start getting my brooders ready.
It got up to 40 deg the other day and I walked in the barn and caught a dark colored weasel snooping around the chicken pen.
I didn't know what it was, never seen one in person before. So I'll have to secure my wooden brooders a bit better than last year!
Crazy Michigan weather 40 deg one day and 5 deg the next. Silly me, I thought the critters were hibernating already.
Didn't even stop to think it may be considering my barn a location to hibernate in?
def time to increase your security and put out some traps
Eggs are due Friday and today we have a power outage... temp got down to 88 but wasn't there long. This was the solution until we got the generator moved and setup lol. I think there was no damage done, we caught it pretty quick but still. This was the first time we attempted this solution.

Whatever works!!
thumbsup.gif

Well, here's the early pipper- there's something so endearing about the tiny triangles of shells that stick to their backs!
And here he is dried off with the second. Black Sex Links- cockerels, I think.
That is great!

I will be checking to see if any hatched yet!

My humidity is now around 60-63% is that enough at lockdown? Temp has been steady 100.5. I have a bowl with a wet sponge inside and I add water through the whole on th incubator top with a straw...

You are doing a great job!
Last year, I had some polish chicks hatch out early, still in the egg turner. The shipped eggs that have saddle shaped air cells seem to hatch out easier, so now I put my eggs in cut out egg cartons to hatch.

fl.gif
I'm ready to go candle, again.
I have had them hatch on the turner before--They did fine!

Saddle eggs do much better in cartons.

The power is finally back on. The generator ran out of gas so I had to put the bator back in the oven. The entire area had no power so the gas station couldn't pump any gas anyway. We had some temp swings from 88°-104°. Hopefully there was no damage done. I'll be candling tonight, just to check on them.

Back
Top Bottom