8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

That's good to know, thank you! Husband is encouraging me to just wait until tomorrow to remove the turner lol. Maybe I'll just remove it in the morning if I can't stand it. ;)

I think that might depend on your setup? Mine doesn't really have room for anything else to be placed in it. It's just tall enough for the fan to be out of the way of hatching chicks. (This was taken earlier in the hatch). I think I'll just need to work quickly, but carefully.

Don't worry too much about taking the eggs out of the incubator. A hen gets off her eggs for about an hour or so every single day right up till hatching. A few minutes out while you remove the turner isn't going to hurt anything.

Last year, I had some polish chicks hatch out early, still in the egg turner. The shipped eggs that have saddle shaped air cells seem to hatch out easier, so now I put my eggs in cut out egg cartons to hatch.

fl.gif
I'm ready to go candle, again.

Last edited:

Well, here's the early pipper- there's something so endearing about the tiny triangles of shells that stick to their backs!
And here he is dried off with the second. Black Sex Links- cockerels, I think.

YAY!!! BABIES!!! They're BEAUTIFUL, @orrpeople! Congrats!! Fingers crossed for everyone else's babies!!!

Well, here's the early pipper- there's something so endearing about the tiny triangles of shells that stick to their backs!
And here he is dried off with the second. Black Sex Links- cockerels, I think.

Are these our first NYD hatch a long hatch? Sweet babies. Always sweet. :)

My humidity is now around 60-63% is that enough at lockdown? Temp has been steady 100.5. I have a bowl with a wet sponge inside and I add water through the whole on th incubator top with a straw...

Perfect! It's ok for the temp to go down a bit. I do mine at 99, with the still air for lock down. When I have the air, where you are now is where I keep it too.

Candled my eggs, down three: one was unfertile, one had a blood ring, and another quit.
So I'm down to 15 eggs and waiting, getting nervous. I have to start getting my brooders ready.
It got up to 40 deg the other day and I walked in the barn and caught a dark colored weasel snooping around the chicken pen.
I didn't know what it was, never seen one in person before. So I'll have to secure my wooden brooders a bit better than last year!
Crazy Michigan weather 40 deg one day and 5 deg the next. Silly me, I thought the critters were hibernating already.
Didn't even stop to think it may be considering my barn a location to hibernate in?

caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom