8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

Hi from SE PA,

Didn't know that on BYC everyone gets together to have a hatch on New Years Day, what a great community!

I've been figuring out DIY incubating and have tried 2 batches of GIANT supermarket "fertile" eggs. Nothing became of them on the day 7 candling, but the process has helped me to refine and tweak our styrofoam incubator.

We bought 8 eggs on eBay, and after a week in USPS transit we let them sit at room temperature for 24 hours, and they went in on Friday night. Would have loved to join everyone's New Year's Day hatch, but these will be a Christmas Eve hatch if all goes well. Is there a Christmas hatch thread?

Here are our eggs:

There is a December hatch a long thread :) and good luck on the eggs! I too built my own incubator and tested it with supermarket eggs and none developed either, although mine were not labeled fertile so I knew nothing would grow but it also helped me tweak my incubator :)

I have some special, (to me), Serama eggs in the incubator right now and I am doing one seriously staggered hatch. I have three pairs that I really want a few babies from, so what few eggs they are laying right now are going in the bator. I am going to say that I am joining this HAL because I will most likely be able to set a few more on the appropriate day.
lol.png

I gave a Dec. link on the last page, before Skitz started a new page for the third time in a row!
gig.gif

Last edited:
I would like to join, but doubt my chickens will be laying by then. The ones I want to hatch from anyway. They hatched on May 1st and haven't started laying yet. So even if they start soon still have to get through the pullet egg stage and hone my AI skills which I have never done before.

I would like to join, but doubt my chickens will be laying by then. The ones I want to hatch from anyway. They hatched on May 1st and haven't started laying yet. So even if they start soon still have to get through the pullet egg stage and hone my AI skills which I have never done before.

Hi Kassaundra..haven't seen you in a while. I used to go over to the NN thread. I should go over and show off my new baby..ahem..girl. It's a girl don't ya know! :p

I know, this is a SG..one of mine. I love me a SG or NN.

Back
Top Bottom