8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

That's too cute! We put out a huge Christmas Village this year, but I regretfully never thought you get pics of the December babies with it, such a clever idea! Maybe next year we'll do a little short video of the "Chickzillas" in the village. My daughter thought I was crazy playing with her dollhouse and the chicks. She kept asking "Mom, what in the world are you doing? Are you feeling ok?" Lol! This coming from the youngen who, on several ocassions, has fallen asleep cuddling the "pet" possum. And I'M the crazy one? (Disclaimer: Pervis (possum) was a rescue deemed unreleasable and is used as an educational animal ambassador.)

Cute picture of your DD with Pervis!

fl.gif
Lockdown commenced a day early because the Quail eggs have lockdown today....so i dont think it will hurt the chicken eggs...
fl.gif

That's too cute! We put out a huge Christmas Village this year, but I regretfully never thought you get pics of the December babies with it, such a clever idea! Maybe next year we'll do a little short video of the "Chickzillas" in the village. My daughter thought I was crazy playing with her dollhouse and the chicks. She kept asking "Mom, what in the world are you doing? Are you feeling ok?" Lol! This coming from the youngen who, on several ocassions, has fallen asleep cuddling the "pet" possum. And I'M the crazy one? (Disclaimer: Pervis (possum) was a rescue deemed unreleasable and is used as an educational animal ambassador.)
"Mom, what in the world are you doing? Are you feeling ok?"
gig.gif
That possum is adorable. Love the pic

Total of hatch of 40 eggs screwed by cold front and power outage during lockdown that were supposed to hatch on the 8th but delayec two days was 15 chicks. 1 died yesterday with intestines hanging out, 14 remained but three look weak maybe won't make it till the morning. Ill remove tomorrow and weigh and tag the remaining.

Last edited:
Total of hatch of 40 eggs screwed by cold front and power outage during lockdown that were supposed to hatch on the 8th but delayec two days was 15 chicks. 1 died yesterday with intestines hanging out, 14 remained but three look weak maybe won't make it till the morning. Ill remove tomorrow and weigh and tag the remaining.

I'm so sorry. I hope the others make it.

Here's one of the ways I brood chicks, if I have more than a handful. These are smaller versions of the 4X4 Ohio brooder.

Those are awesome pics! Your brooders are very open. In the top pic, what are the chicks standing on? It almost looks like hemp fiber matting or the jute back on jute back carpeting. It looks excellent for traction for the chicks legs!

So far, I've started my chicks in a box on paper towel, in the laundry room in the house.

Chicks were getting moved to the brooder top level, then bottom level and then out in general population. It's currently been been decommissioned from chick brooding until further notice. It's being used for the baby bunnies.

This year if/when I decide to hatch, I'll be using my 4' rabbit cage for brooding...and then moving chicks into a large wire kennels. Both can be scrubbed down and disinfected much easier than the double decker brooder. At least that's what I'm thinking...we'll see how it works ...lol!!

The timing of that cold front was awful. Hopefully the 3 weaker looking chicks have improved by tomorrow.
fl.gif

How much "white light" do you give week old chicks?

We have our red heat lamp on all the time for heat but we've been turning on the lights in our room that the brooder is in to give the chicks some "daylight".

Usually about 10-12 hours.

Is that the right thing to do, to much, to little?

i'm sorry about the losses, i hope the three make it
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom