8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

Congratulations to the winners - they were all adorable entries!!!

I found that several of my NY chicks were VERY flighty and active. They were creating havoc in the bathroom brooder. I moved 6 of the most active outside to the coop with the Thanksgiving silkies. There was a little soft pecking at first, But they are now cuddled up to and running around with all the others. They are loving the freedom! I have 3 babies that hatched about 7 - 10 days after the others. They are half the size of the NY babies. I tried separating them from the NY chicks, but they cried and cried for hours. So, 5 unlucky NY chicks have to stay and keep the younger trio happy.

It's in the 60's today, so it's beautiful outside. These temps should hold until Thursday, when we'll drop to the 50's and the rain will start again. I figure by next week, the 6 NY babies will be hardy enough to handle the cooler temps.

@mustangrooster I am so very sorry for the lost chicks!!!

Congratulations to the winners - they were all adorable entries!!!

I found that several of my NY chicks were VERY flighty and active. They were creating havoc in the bathroom brooder. I moved 6 of the most active outside to the coop with the Thanksgiving silkies. There was a little soft pecking at first, But they are now cuddled up to and running around with all the others. They are loving the freedom! I have 3 babies that hatched about 7 - 10 days after the others. They are half the size of the NY babies. I tried separating them from the NY chicks, but they cried and cried for hours. So, 5 unlucky NY chicks have to stay and keep the younger trio happy.

It's in the 60's today, so it's beautiful outside. These temps should hold until Thursday, when we'll drop to the 50's and the rain will start again. I figure by next week, the 6 NY babies will be hardy enough to handle the cooler temps.

@mustangrooster I am so very sorry for the lost chicks!!!

Awesome on getting those chicks moved outside! I just pulled my introduction pen around to the coop today and have it mostly ready to move my 13 into soon. My poor husband though, he's having a hard time with the thought of me putting them out there, even with a heat source
lol.png

Awesome on getting those chicks moved outside! I just pulled my introduction pen around to the coop today and have it mostly ready to move my 13 into soon. My poor husband though, he's having a hard time with the thought of me putting them out there, even with a heat source
lol.png
big_smile.png
I only have half moved. It's a start though! Mine only have a heat source if they go up the ladder into the coop area. So, far, they just pile together for warmth. The silkies still don't go to bed on their own. I have to crawl in and grab them one at a time and put them up there. I am hoping these Isbars will be more curious and better flyers, and will figure it out after a day or two. This morning we made the ladder a solid plank ladder, instead of the typical open ladder. Hopefully that will make it easier.

I hope that the move with your 13 goes smoothly. It's amazing how happy they are when they can run and fly around, and not be stuck in a small brooder. Good luck!!!!

big_smile.png
I only have half moved. It's a start though! Mine only have a heat source if they go up the ladder into the coop area. So, far, they just pile together for warmth. The silkies still don't go to bed on their own. I have to crawl in and grab them one at a time and put them up there. I am hoping these Isbars will be more curious and better flyers, and will figure it out after a day or two. This morning we made the ladder a solid plank ladder, instead of the typical open ladder. Hopefully that will make it easier.

I hope that the move with your 13 goes smoothly. It's amazing how happy they are when they can run and fly around, and not be stuck in a small brooder. Good luck!!!!

Mine are already trying to fly around in their brooder and they're roosting on whatever they can get to lol. I'm itching for them to get outdoors! I imagine your Isbars will figure it out soon :) What are your nighttime temps right now? We'll be in the 60s-70s during the day for most of the next 10 days, and evenings in the 50s or so. Seems like good temps to me to get them outside to start acclimating them.

Well out of all the chicks that went into lockdown, only one little lone chick hatched, heartbreaking but im happy at the same time, at least i got something from all those weeks of waiting..

Shes a pretty little girl too. I dont know what im going to do if its a cockerel. All my hatches have been boys lately, no kidding, even the broody hens chick is a BOY! Somehow i still have the nerve to incubate ;)

Well out of all the chicks that went into lockdown, only one little lone chick hatched, heartbreaking but im happy at the same time, at least i got something from all those weeks of waiting..

Shes a pretty little girl too. I dont know what im going to do if its a cockerel. All my hatches have been boys lately, no kidding, even the broody hens chick is a BOY! Somehow i still have the nerve to incubate
wink.png

Sometimes it goes that way!

Next time odds may be in your favor for pullets!

fl.gif

Mine are already trying to fly around in their brooder and they're roosting on whatever they can get to lol. I'm itching for them to get outdoors! I imagine your Isbars will figure it out soon :) What are your nighttime temps right now? We'll be in the 60s-70s during the day for most of the next 10 days, and evenings in the 50s or so. Seems like good temps to me to get them outside to start acclimating them.
Definitely sounds like you should get yours outside! My temps are just a bit wider than yours. I'm 60's during the day, and 40's at night. Today 63/43. I checked the babies last night and they were under the silkies, under the heat plate. Big pile of babies. I might have to lower one side of the heat plate to let the smaller babies stay warm.

Shes a pretty little girl too. I dont know what im going to do if its a cockerel. All my hatches have been boys lately, no kidding, even the broody hens chick is a BOY! Somehow i still have the nerve to incubate
wink.png
I'm sorry you had such a tough hatch! I've heard that boys can survive higher temps during incubation, and girls can survive colder temps during incubation. I have NO idea if that is valid - I seem to get 50'50 even though my temps are usually too low. I have late hatches. Good luck with your next hatch!

Definitely sounds like you should get yours outside! My temps are just a bit wider than yours. I'm 60's during the day, and 40's at night. Today 63/43. I checked the babies last night and they were under the silkies, under the heat plate. Big pile of babies. I might have to lower one side of the heat plate to let the smaller babies stay warm.

I'm sorry you had such a tough hatch! I've heard that boys can survive higher temps during incubation, and girls can survive colder temps during incubation. I have NO idea if that is valid - I seem to get 50'50 even though my temps are usually too low. I have late hatches. Good luck with your next hatch!
I never knew that! Alot of my hatches get high temps...maybe thats why im getting all boys...expect this hatch they were exposed to quite alot of cold...50/50 is good, hopefully i get that next time..i have a better incubator on the way..
wink.png
Thanks,i hope i get better hatch rates with the new 'bator.

I got so fidgety last night, thinking that i had another boy on my hands......i tried feather wing sexing him/her....it looked like a PULLET! However i've only tired that method twice, first was on the broodys cockerel and the wing feathers showed that of a cockerels....i was right...he was a boy....so i hope im right now
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom