9 month old Barred Rocks

SierraMA

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod, MA
I just purchased 2 barred rock hens this Sunday. The seller than came back Monday morning and dropped off a 50 lbs bag of layer feed. I was told that they were laying hens. It has now been 3 days and nothing. They are in with 6 buff orpingtons that are 20 weeks. There hasn't been any problems other then a little pecking. Did I just get duped??? One of the barred rocks has feathers missing around her rear and it is really red like the color of her comb but she doesn't seem to peck or be bothered by it. Any suggestions? I did call the guy back yesterday and today, of course with no reply!!!
sad.png

I hope you have them separated from your others to watch for diseases. They may take as much as a month to get acclimated to the new home. That hen could be molting or have mites/lice. I'd dust them.

Last edited:
i got two 6 month old girls a while back and one has yet to skip a day of laying but her sister took 3 days off when i first got her. its stressful being put in a new flock. one of mine had the same bald spot the guy i got him from said it was from the rooster its all grown back now.

Back
Top Bottom