A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

do you put a whole super full of frames with no foundation for chunk honey or do you stagger frames with foundation in the chunk honey super

We usually use medium wired wax foundation for honey and a shallow super with frames with no foundation for the chunk honey. I put a starter strip of pure white wax foundation at the top and let the bees do the rest.

This is the super I am using for chunk honey.

Can any one tell me what breed this queen is ?
I Split a hive with a carniolan Queen and this Queen is what i ended up with.

Last edited:
I pulled each bar from the hive yesterday, and the combs look even. Did not try to id the queen, kind of lost my nerve a little working without jacket our gloves. The bees were totally docile and unconcerned by the intrusion. Added 2 bars spaced between some of the back larger comb-carrying bars.

It is so enjoyable to walk out and stand by the entrance, watching the bees go about their business, zooming in with pollen loads and out again on their way around the neighborhood.

Can any one tell me what breed this queen is ?
I Split a hive with a carniolan Queen and this Queen is what i ended up with.

She would be at least half Carniolan
hide.gif

I pulled each bar from the hive yesterday, and the combs look even. Did not try to id the queen, kind of lost my nerve a little working without jacket our gloves. The bees were totally docile and unconcerned by the intrusion. Added 2 bars spaced between some of the back larger comb-carrying bars.

It is so enjoyable to walk out and stand by the entrance, watching the bees go about their business, zooming in with pollen loads and out again on their way around the neighborhood.

Isn't it amazing?

I don't know if you have any experience with checking top bar hives. Make sure that you always hold the bar so the comb is straight, don't lean it. Unlike Langstroth frames which the comb is secured to the frame on all sides, top bars are only secured at the top and if you lean them to check the comb it can break off of the top bar. This can be worse in warmer weather and with fuller bars. It is enough to make you cry when a whole section of comb falls to the ground.

I have worked with Bees off and on for years. I have two hives currently. The most I have had was 9 hives. I failed to split my hives this year and they split themselves early. I should have calculated that and was so busy at other things. I was reminded about it while building chicken hutches and pens when I saw the bees spliting. Working hard so that does not happen again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom