A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
Quote:
Ours are a color called 'rhubarb green'. We wanted the hives to blend in with the background vegetation so they wouldn't be so noticeable.

As for not, it depends. White reflects heat, which is why it's the traditional color. Up here we like the darker color, however, because of whatever solar gain we might get in the winter. I've seen wonderful multicolored hives, they look like rainbows. I don't think it matters, do whatever tickles your fancy!
rainbow-sun.gif

I have guineas and bees.
I only have 4 now. I have had up to 26.
They have never been a problem for the bees.
My hives are not on the ground. I have them on stands about 20" high.
I don't think that makes any difference but it might.
I actually got the guineas hoping they would eat some of the hive beetles we have in this area.
They don't seem to stay in the bee yard enough to help with the hive beetle population.
They are constantly moving (grazing and picking) around our property.

I have been wanting to start bees but feel that I need to wait till we have enough garden to give them some pollen--here in SW NM, the main pollen source is juniper/pinon, and I don't think they'll eat that, will they? All the houses in my area are pretty far apart and most are xeriscaped due to drought/deer, so no flowers/trees there. We do have a little stream down the hill from our property, so water would not be as big an issue, as long as they can fly about 1/4 mile.

Anyone in my area successful with bees without living on a river/orchard?

Quote:
I hate to break it to ya but a garden won't support a colony. To make a single pound of honey they have to visit 2 MILLION (yes, with a m) flowers.

Bees will always find something to get. Have you thought about weeds or road sides? They keep bees in mexico and do perty well. I would say it you can afford it, go for it. I have heard of some people in NM being really good at beekeeping with somehwere around a 100 hives. When you have enough hives to make it more than a hobby but less than a full time job you are called a "sideliner". So bassicly I have heard of sideliners in NM.

Good luck-chris

Quote:
Thanks for your response.
smile.png
I'm glad to hear you haven't had much trouble. I may wait to fence the hives until I see how things go. We have plenty of other bugs for guineas to eat and the hives will be set about 10 feet into the trees of a sassafras grove. I've heard guineas prefer open pasture/grass to wooded areas so maybe they'd leave them alone? We'll see.
smile.png

Alina

Quote:
In my bee class we learned that painting hives different colors seemed to minimize the "drift" that occurs in a bee yard, when the hives on the outside tend to pick up more returning bees. I know that's not a huge issue, just thought it was a neat tidbit.
tongue.png

Quote:
In my bee class we learned that painting hives different colors seemed to minimize the "drift" that occurs in a bee yard, when the hives on the outside tend to pick up more returning bees. I know that's not a huge issue, just thought it was a neat tidbit.
tongue.png

We were told that just painting a different colored stripe on each landing board/entrance would help with drifting too. Remember that bees don't see red as red but they see it as black.

Quote:
I hate to break it to ya but a garden won't support a colony. To make a single pound of honey they have to visit 2 MILLION (yes, with a m) flowers.

Bees will always find something to get. Have you thought about weeds or road sides? They keep bees in mexico and do perty well. I would say it you can afford it, go for it. I have heard of some people in NM being really good at beekeeping with somehwere around a 100 hives. When you have enough hives to make it more than a hobby but less than a full time job you are called a "sideliner". So bassicly I have heard of sideliners in NM.

Good luck-chris

And I have a very good friend living on the high desert in Jal, NM, who was selling "mesquite honey" commercially - as you say, they will always find something! Great honey, too.

Back
Top Bottom