A Bielefelder Thread !

Pics
Hi all! We love our Bielefelders, they are so incredibly docile and are fantastic layers too!

Wow!!!! Gorgeous pictures!!! My baby Bielies are 19 weeks old and I am getting so close to eggs! My Roo has just started mauling the girls (they are screaming bloody murder and he has not yet accomplished anything) so I am hoping they are getting close!

I really hope someone who knows Bielefelders can help please.

I thought I had hatched one hen and one cockerel, but now I am confused because they both look like cockerels.
It has been suggested my 'female' chick has changed sex....eek!
I cannot find pictures of Bielefelder at various stages in development to compare mine with.

Pic 1 is the chicks at a couple of days
Pic 2 is the 'female'
Pic 3 the male is at the front
The 'female' is bigger and has a bigger comb
idunno.gif

I really hope someone who knows Bielefelders can help please.

I thought I had hatched one hen and one cockerel, but now I am confused because they both look like cockerels.
It has been suggested my 'female' chick has changed sex....eek!
I cannot find pictures of Bielefelder at various stages in development to compare mine with.

Pic 1 is the chicks at a couple of days
Pic 2 is the 'female'
Pic 3 the male is at the front
The 'female' is bigger and has a bigger comb
idunno.gif

You can tell by pic one that both are male. The double barring disrupts the chipmunk stripe (which is found on both male and female). It is that blurring of the colors that is the autosexing trait.

See below. Girl on the left. Boy on the far right .

Note that I don't ever breed any males or females that I have to guess at their sex. You should tag any that are iffy. You don't want to risk losing the autosexing trait.

Definitely two cockerels. Others have posted questionable chicks before, sometimes the male chicks can be darker and appear almost female, but from your pic I would say two males. The second one just was darker and had a less pronounced head spot. My females had really strong "eyeliner" and partridge markings.

Male - 3 weeks old

female 3 weeks old

male 5 weeks old

18 weeks old

Thank you DCchicken, so no freaky sex change chicken then!

I must add, they are beautiful birds and will sit on your hand and be petted, but they will have to be rehomed, anyone in the UK want a Bielefelder?

I will not give up, I want a hen, maybe next year..........

Yep! my boys look just like your picture ChickCrazed, thank you for adding the pictures at different stages, it's really helpful and obvious which is which when there is a comparison.

I just purchased 15+ Day old Bielefelder chicks from a well know breeder without telling my wife and now even with all the persuasion she is not letting me keep them. The chicks have not been shipped yet and you can get them for lot lower than their web-advertised price. Also since they have not been shipped, they can be directed straight to your location so that there is no mortality risk or risk of contamination in shipping twice.

Let me know if you are interested by sending me a PM . For faster communication please include your phone number if you feel comfortable.

Last edited:
I just purchased 15+ Day old Bielefelder chicks from a well know breeder without telling my wife and now even with all the persuasion she is not letting me keep them. The chicks have not been shipped yet and you can get them for lot lower than their web-advertised price. Also since they have not been shipped, they can be directed straight to your location so that there is no mortality risk or risk of contamination in shipping twice.

Let me know if you are interested by sending my a PM . It will be faster if you can send me your phone number in the PM.
You Should have told her! Whats done is done. Maybe if you sincerely appoligize and have her read about this docile loving breed you can get her to change her mind. These are turning out to be my favorite breed. Good luck.

Let me know if you are interested by sending me a PM . For faster communication please include your phone number if you feel comfortable.

As they have not been shipped yet can you not cancel your order?

Back
Top Bottom