A Bielefelder Thread !

Pics
It was one of the mixed birds that was killed. The CCLs haven't started laying yet but should be any day. They are getting to be really pretty birds. The chick Hannah named Cusco and the BLRW are our only roos. The other three roos became chicken soup. The BLRWs were one male and one female. He is a really big and really pretty splash.
Good!  I was going to ask if that was a CCL that was eaten by the dog the other day but forgot LOL.  My brain is fried with everything I have on my plate right now with the remodel.

I will admit, ain't no Orpington worth $300.00. But a good Heritage or Dual purpose breed with a story will bring 30.00 - 40.00 to homesteader and prepper types and are worth it due to the knowledge you are going to impress them with.......If you advertise in BYC why wouldn't you advertise in Huntsville, Jackson, Bowling Green on CL? Don't deliver 20.00 chickens, people will drive to you from 75 miles away to get that special bird. But the market changes all the time, and you have to try new things. (Old dog learning new tricks)
thumbsup.gif

I will admit, ain't no Orpington worth $300.00. But a good Heritage or Dual purpose breed with a story will bring 30.00 - 40.00 to homesteader and prepper types and are worth it due to the knowledge you are going to impress them with.......If you advertise in BYC why wouldn't you advertise in Huntsville, Jackson, Bowling Green on CL? Don't deliver 20.00 chickens, people will drive to you from 75 miles away to get that special bird. But the market changes all the time, and you have to try new things. (Old dog learning new tricks)
thumbsup.gif
I have English Silver Laced Orps that sell for $600 each. So price just depends on the rarity of the color. Orpington prices are also very trendy. Every six months there is a new color.

My opinion and ranking of dual purpose, rare breeds:

1. Bresse (cheap and they lay like there is no tomorrow).
2. Bielefelder (autosexing puts is way at the top but the Bresse lay three months earlier).
3. English Orpingtons. Some can reach 4lbs dressed in 3-4 months.
4. Sulmtaler (very good at free range and can be sexed early because of the Wheaten color)
5. Marans (roosters can be mean, but people love the dark eggs)

I have English Silver Laced Orps that sell for $600 each.  So price just depends on the rarity of the color.  Orpington prices are also very trendy.  Every six months there is a new color.

1.  Bresse (cheap and they lay like there is no tomorrow).
2.  Bielefelder (autosexing puts is way at the top but the Bresse lay three months earlier).
3.  English Orpingtons.  Some can reach 4lbs dressed in 3-4 months.
4.  Sulmtaler (very good at free range and can be sexed early because of the Wheaten color)
5.  Marans (roosters can be mean, but people love the dark eggs)

Didn't realize English Orpingtons were such fast growing birds. Thought they were more popular for attractive colors. Thanks for the list.

I have English Silver Laced Orps that sell for $600 each. So price just depends on the rarity of the color. Orpington prices are also very trendy. Every six months there is a new color.

2. Bielefelder (autosexing puts is way at the top but the Bresse lay three months earlier).
4. Sulmtaler (very good at free range and can be sexed early because of the Wheaten color)

600$? wow, that is wow lol I have no doubt price and demand and rarity within the region plays a massive role in the prices.

SL Orps are not easy to come by. Orps are not fast growing really they are just BIG birds. They are really slow maturing birds but HUGE.

DCchicken - Sadly, I just moved away from the D/M/V. How far from DC are you?

I'm still relatively new to chickens, BYC, and have been lurking in the Bielefelder thread (among others). I am simply researching for now, but am already wanting to move towards auto-sexing breeds for the homestead. If they are truly dual purpose, Bielefelders could be a great fit for us. I would think people like me are willing to pay a reasonable price for solid foundation stock than buy cheap birds that will end up being a waste of feed!
smile.png

DCchicken - Sadly, I just moved away from the D/M/V. How far from DC are you?

I'm still relatively new to chickens, BYC, and have been lurking in the Bielefelder thread (among others). I am simply researching for now, but am already wanting to move towards auto-sexing breeds for the homestead. If they are truly dual purpose, Bielefelders could be a great fit for us. I would think people like me are willing to pay a reasonable price for solid foundation stock than buy cheap birds that will end up being a waste of feed!
smile.png
The Bieles are great. But most of my breeds have stopped laying for the winter. I could make them start laying again if I used artificial lights. But I prefer to let them have a break. Spring will be here quickly.

I live and work in D.C. but keep my chickens at my farm in Upper Marlboro. So send me a PM in the Spring when you are ready. I usually can meet people up to an hour away. Bieles are one of my favorites but I have 15 breeds, including some interesting projects like Biefelder x Isbar cross (as large as Bielefelder but lays an Olive Egg and has brown and blue feathers).

Back
Top Bottom