A Bielefelder Thread !

Pics
DMRippy you are right on target.
Treefarmer 42 - The reason that I am interested in the Biel's is because most of the people that I sell coops to are new farmstead type people. They are more interested in a dual purpose bird than just a layer or just a meat bird. Sustainabilty and knowing where their food comes from are the priority. My belief is the Biel's will fit that bill better than any other breed that I am aware of. By adding 15 started birds to 50% of the coops that I sell will be well worth the effort to raise and hatch a premium bird. Up until now I only raised Barnevelders, because they were a heritage dual purpose bird that people had not usually heard of. Their interest sold all my chicks, but I was never really happy with Barnevelders as a table bird.

In my area day old Bielefelder pullet chicks are averaging $30-$35. Cockerells are considered give aways which is what I just did with my 5 cockerel chicks. Since I feed Organic Corn and Soy Free I would value a single 10-12 wk old pullet I raise to be at about $50 - $65. Now would others pay that price, is a good question? I sold a 7 week old pair of CLBs for $30 recently to a friend.

Unfortunately I cannot keep Roosters. I hatch for fun and hopefully a pullet or two to keep. I try to keep my "pullet value" in mind when considering the purchase price of hatching eggs. If I can break even on my keepers anything else is considered Icing on the cake. :)

Here in South East PA I can not find a Biel to save my life.
Only about 5-10 websites can be found that even sell Biel eggs and or chicks.
Biels first imported in 2011 and pair of chicks sold for $1,000.00
1 dozen eggs sell for $35-$75.00 plus shipping on Ebay and only 1-5 auctions are seen at any given time.

We can all see the value here that's easy but what is the best price for eggs, chicks, juv. and 1 year old egg layers ??? You can base your price off of what you see on the web in regards to the eggs and chicks but 1 yr. old adults nothing is found. I base their value off of egg production and selling these eggs to people that wish to hatch them, not for eating. My wyandottes are for eating. I know I made some eye brows go up when I stated 8 hens and 2 roosters were worth $1,000 to me but they truly are. 8 hens that will give me 200 eggs a year times 8 equals 1600 eggs at $5 each (low $) comes out to $8,000.00 per year minus feed of say $500 (high) that's $7,500.00. Sounds crazy but right now its true. That's why I took my green house and made it a coop that has 7 females and 6 roosters (hatched from $5.00 eggs) Come Spring 4 roosters will go and I'll be making $1,000.00's of $.
Please do not under sell your Biels they are not just chickens maybe in 5-10 years but NOT now.
thumbsup.gif

Here in South East PA I can not find a Biel to save my life.
Only about 5-10 websites can be found that even sell Biel eggs and or chicks.
Biels first imported in 2011 and pair of chicks sold for $1,000.00
1 dozen eggs sell for $35-$75.00 plus shipping on Ebay and only 1-5 auctions are seen at any given time.

We can all see the value here that's easy but what is the best price for eggs, chicks, juv. and 1 year old egg layers ???  You can base your price off of what you see on the web in regards to the eggs and chicks  but 1 yr. old adults nothing is found.  I base their value off of egg production and selling these eggs to people that wish to hatch them, not for eating.  My wyandottes are for eating.  I know I made some eye brows go up when I stated 8 hens and 2 roosters were worth $1,000 to me but they truly are.  8 hens that will give me 200 eggs a year times 8 equals 1600 eggs at $5 each (low $) comes out to $8,000.00 per year minus feed of say $500 (high)  that's $7,500.00.  Sounds crazy but right now its true.  That's why I took my green house and made it a coop that has 7 females and 6 roosters (hatched from $5.00 eggs)  Come Spring 4 roosters will go and I'll be making $1,000.00's of $.  
  Please do not under sell your Biels they are not just chickens maybe in 5-10 years but NOT now.:thumbsup

I don't plan on it thats why I'm following this discussion.I deffinatly think 35 dollars is too low.I'm glad to have your wisdom and imput. I was in the right place at the right time when I bought mine. I'm using this time while waiting for them to lay to figure out my prices. I thank everyone for their imput. I'm totally new to this breed. They are quickly becoming my favorite breed.
I also have others for eating and selling eggs.I welcome any advice. Thank you and every one else. Pam

Would anyone happen to have a pic of an egg? sounds silly i know but i think one of my pullets is laying but because i run them with Malines i cannot be sure.. interesting conversation on pricing, i paid 20$ per each chick, got mine as a couple day olds, sexed. I have a trio. :)

Treefarmer42 - I am in Delaware County NY and I have Bielies.

Paid a premium price, absolutely thrilled with them!! My oldest are July chicks - and I will be processing some roos for meat. They are friendly, vigorous, big beautiful birds ! I agree on the dual purpose use - these are the nicest table birds I've ever raised. And they tower over the 'regular' (purebred) birds in the pen.

Y'all have to understand pricing is regional. You will get what the market will bare. Here rare birds don't sell well period. I might get premium price for them sometimes but most of the time I just keep them till I can sell them. I have Rhodebars..... I can't get more for them than a Barred Rock. Eng Orps just don't sell locally..... even the nice colors. I have black blue mauve choc jubilee and mottled. The Jubilee and mottleds are still growing out but the only market I will have to those is if I ship them. I have about 27 colors and breeds and the ONLY THING that sell well are Marans, Olive Eggers and Blue Egg layers (not pure ameraucanas either).

And for the person who is counting their money on the Belies....... good luck. Nothing with chickens works out or makes any money..... EVER! I have been doing this for years and my chickens only pay their way...... no more. We are just slave labor to the chickens. If you don't have the NAME or REPUTATION to go with your birds you can't get a premium price.

DMRippy, nothing will ever sell at a premium unless you demand a premium. When I started building coops 5 years ago everyone said you couldn't sell a premium coop to farmers or city folk. The idea was everybody was too cheap to invest in a quality coop. Never did I try to compete on price. Delivering a quality product dependably is worth a premium, and I stuck to my pricing and lost a few sales in the beginning to cheaper inferior products. Now enough word of mouth, good reputation, and aggressive marketing keeps me busy all year long. Many breeders breed quality birds and sell for premium prices. Many of my customers would not blink an eye at $40.00 hens if I had them. It is called "marketing". My coops and my chickens are worth a premium because........................fill in the blank with a story. People are not going to pay you more than you ask. Also, people will not pay a premium for mediocre. Market your products aggressively, and always deliver quality, with a friendly attitude and real personal attention to detail. (Dot all i's and cross all t's) Everyone can make a hamburger, but there are some places that make premium hamburgers. And it has nothing to do with locale. Quality works anywhere.

DMRippy, nothing will ever sell at a premium unless you demand a premium. When I started building coops 5 years ago everyone said you couldn't sell a premium coop to farmers or city folk. The idea was everybody was too cheap to invest in a quality coop. Never did I try to compete on price. Delivering a quality product dependably is worth a premium, and I stuck to my pricing and lost a few sales in the beginning to cheaper inferior products. Now enough word of mouth, good reputation, and aggressive marketing keeps me busy all year long. Many breeders breed quality birds and sell for premium prices. Many of my customers would not blink an eye at $40.00 hens if I had them. It is called "marketing". My coops and my chickens are worth a premium because........................fill in the blank with a story.  People are not going to pay you more than you ask. Also, people will not pay a premium for mediocre. Market your products aggressively, and always deliver quality, with a friendly attitude and real personal attention to detail. (Dot all i's and cross all t's)  Everyone can make a hamburger, but there are some places that make premium hamburgers. And it has nothing to do with locale. Quality works anywhere.
i agree, we have a masonry co. We are expensive compared to the unlicensed, uninsured, company's that hire illegal aliens.but I can't tell you how many times we've been called to fix poor work when if they would have hired us in the first place it would have been cheaper. We charge more to fix others bad work. We don't advertise all our work is word of mouth.
Now I understand what drimmpy is saying. I have german shepards when breeding from champion lines you do it for the love of the breed. If you put a price on your time and resurch. Plus top of the line feed etc. you don't make money on it.
As for chickens my layers have paid for their organic food plus the purchase of the rare breeds I have. Anything else is Iceing on the cake. I've already have people asking to be put on a list for Bielefelders and Legbars. So I'm happy with the chickens they provide food for me. They pay their own way in feed. And I have more money left over from egg sales.
Now I will add hatching eggs down the road and chicks. We just sold two juvenile pairs of birds too. Pam

I can ask premium prices on bird but no one buys them so I just feed them till I can sell them.....sometimes you go broke getting a premium price. I have about 50 pullets and a few hens I need to sell but no one is putting up the money. I May go to the show in Knoxville and sell them. I know I will get a good price and probably sell them all.....but that is a 4 hour drive.

Back
Top Bottom