A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Four days ago the Royal Palm hen hatched another egg but must have stepped on one of the poults so she still had 10 poults. She seemed to have abandoned the last 4 eggs so I collected to dispose of.

I tossed the first egg in the pit and when it cracked open there were live kicking legs sticking out. I took the other 3 eggs to the house and candled them to find that one was a blank, one was rotten and one was internally pipped. I fired up the hatcher and put the good egg in it.

I went back to the pit, disposed of the two bad eggs and crawled in far enough to get the still live egg. I took that egg and since the yolk was absorbed, removed the remaining shell and placed the poult in the hatcher with the good egg. I believe that because the poult didn't go through the straining and pushing to get out of the egg that it did not have any control over its legs. It would lay there sprawled on its back and could not turn itself right side up.

I got a small container and put the poult upright in the container so that it could not end up on its back. It did not take it long to tip the container over and end up on its back again. After numerous times of going through this I got a taller container for it and tried again.

The next morning the good egg hatched and was fine. The flopper was still getting out and ending up on its back. It couldn't turn itself over but it could jump up out of its container. I got concerned for the second poult when I found a poult on its back but there was still a poult in the container. The problem poult had gotten out and the good poult had crawled into the container.

I finally put enough support around the container that the problem poult could not tip it over and end up on its back. The next morning there wasn't any poult in the container and both poults were standing up and walking about. Later that day I took them out and put them in the brooder with the guinea keets. They were both eating and drinking very soon after being put in the brooder.

I left them in the brooder for a couple of days and took them out this morning and let them join their mother and their ten other siblings. Mama now has all 12 and I can't tell the difference among any of them.

makes me wonder how many eggs like that I set in the garbage unbroken

I have heard that they need to kick out to get the legs right, tendons and such from being squished in an egg

Bubba
20180817_065942-1.jpg
was trying to show the younger poults how to turn into a feather ball..... yesterday they were trying too...... silly babies!

Aww...a Stilts baby! Congrats!!

Little cool spell rolled in! Still only 79! Feels so good. All fowl are enjoying the break in the weather! Daisy was working on her pidgeon moves. I also found a few of her feathers in their pen. Looks like she may be starting her molt. Pretty sure shes done laying. I'm thinking that's giving her cause to fly around so much!

Yeah my darling is done laying right now.... after her broody days. But she keeps caughing??? And almost acts like something is stuck in her throught, I was afraid maybe gape worm so I have been treating with wazine.
Stilts is the only hen left still laying. At 8 months an egg almost every day is wonderful! I managed to sell the Tom and 3 hens that I traded for over memorial day, and the juvies are too young to decide who to keep, but oh look at the possibilities !

4 of my 11 incubator eggs weren't fertile/developed. Most likely from my semi-selective broody who sometimes hangs in the nest box vs around the tom... Going to add more after collecting more and put my second incubator to good use. Trying to debate if should order more poults from a hatchery because literally no one around here has bourbon reds and everyday on my local poultry groups I see "ISO bourbon reds"... it's like they poop golden eggs I don't know about! Plus could keep a few new blood females and sell off the extras that are required to make the quantity minimum.

Someone offered me a narraganset female for $200 :smack I hope that one poops gold!

Back
Top Bottom