A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Dose is the name given to the second stilts baby! No pics yet as this one had a rough time.... yesterday morn I went to check on its progress, the night before it was internally piped. I couldn't see the air sack while candling so I started to open the top thinking that it was too big for the egg and ready to come out, it was trying to breath but bubbling. So I took the ' cap' of the egg shell off and cleared it's airways.... I noticed it was "sticky" and still lots of veins so I put it back in the bator. When we got home from church it was cemeted into its shell, grrr, so I took some vasalne and smeared it so it could wiggle but in the process I thought it looked like the yolk was not absorbed yet.... so I set it back in the bator. About 5 I went to check one more time, it was out! And had the biggest Buddha belly it's little legs couldn't keep it upright..... sigh so I placed it in a cup over night to keep it upright. So far this morn it a pears to be a success, but I am not holding my breath yet.
Oh and number three is talking in its shell! So far stilts babies are both black

Dose is the name given to the second stilts baby! No pics yet as this one had a rough time.... yesterday morn I went to check on its progress, the night before it was internally piped. I couldn't see the air sack while candling so I started to open the top thinking that it was too big for the egg and ready to come out, it was trying to breath but bubbling. So I took the ' cap' of the egg shell off and cleared it's airways.... I noticed it was "sticky" and still lots of veins so I put it back in the bator. When we got home from church it was cemeted into its shell, grrr, so I took some vasalne and smeared it so it could wiggle but in the process I thought it looked like the yolk was not absorbed yet.... so I set it back in the bator. About 5 I went to check one more time, it was out! And had the biggest Buddha belly it's little legs couldn't keep it upright..... sigh so I placed it in a cup over night to keep it upright. So far this morn it a pears to be a success, but I am not holding my breath yet.
Oh and number three is talking in its shell! So far stilts babies are both black
Coconut oil is the recommended item to use for moistening dried membranes during difficult hatches. Coconut oil allows breathing through the membranes while Vaseline will plug them off.

Since black (B) is a dominant color gene and requires only one copy of the gene to be expressed, you should expect all of Stilts poults to come out as some form of black unless she is heterozygous for black (Bb or Bb1).

Coconut oil is the recommended item to use for moistening dried membranes during difficult hatches. Coconut oil allows breathing through the membranes while Vaseline will plug them off.

Since black (B) is a dominant color gene and requires only one copy of the gene to be expressed, you should expect all of Stilts poults to come out as some form of black unless she is heterozygous for black (Bb or Bb1).
Good to know about the black.... she is from a chocolate mixed with a standard bronze. So whatever that means?

50F3ECE0-3F51-40CB-9B5D-92B795764E45.jpeg BDE63B98-485D-44CB-A1EF-58180DA0FB22.jpeg 5D0B4D0E-9329-4FB6-9EAD-E4FC523B11B9.jpeg 503936F9-DC1E-4C89-A2ED-0BD9A8370EAB.jpeg 2AB95482-94DC-4235-AE7E-AA104F1F90FC.jpeg B78B5FC7-431F-46C2-9210-4C5B9BD5A7F0.jpeg Jus a lil fun with my chores this mornin. The first two pics.. i love his mottley look. The next two i just love her bluey hue. Next up is the leetle balloon boy who tries be brave (he is in the runnin to stay here past holidays) and a pretty lil hen behind him. But goodness the young turks are so big that i really have to look to tell them apart from the older hens we had already. Lastly is my gracie bein a lazy turd eatin hay. She was havin no part of mornin today lol!

Last edited:
They look good SFGWife!

Thanks! We are super happy bout the way they are growin! We were nervous at first bout the whole feed twice a day thing because they are in the same pen as the goaties... and goaties cant do an all day buffet of turk food. But they do get to free range all day for bugs and stuff so they dont starve. But we think they will be a good eatin size for thanksgiving. :).

Question: any good way to introduce two new hens into a group of hens/one tom? After a quarantine period, I do plan on housing them in a separate tractor pen nearby but how easy are they to add new flock members?

Back
Top Bottom