A cough or hickup - odd vocalization worries me

Malpower

Songster
11 Years
Jan 12, 2009
Kentfield, California
Two days ago I heard this weird vocalization or maybe cough from one of my young hens -- it was kind of like the sound when my dog chomped down on a squeaky toy -- abrupt, short, high pitched and almost a bleat. I thought she was coughing, hiccuping or maybe even choking for a minute. She did it a number of times and then I didn't hear it again. This morning I heard the sound, went out and saw that it was another of the hens. They seem just fine otherwise -- no discharge -- they look and act like they usually do...continue to eat and drink and dig about. I have recently used DE in the and around the coop, but it's been about a week or more since I last put it out. We're also having our first hot spell and the hens of course are panting, holding their wings out, and not particularly thrilled -- but they stay in the shade and I replenish their water frequently. Don't know if any of this means anything at all, and maybe this is a common vocalization or squeak, but I've just never heard it before (there was a big flock of hens around here from next door for nearly two years and I thought I'd heard most sounds they could produce).

I hope someone can tell me this is normal!!
smile.png
Thanks!

Could be a chicken sneeze. While it could be a random thing, I would keep a close eye on it to make sure it does not continue. Even a patch of warm weather can bring respiratory issues.

Good luck, and do keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom