A few pics of my ostrich chicks

I live in South Africa and there are Ostriches everywhere. They are adorable. I have 4chickens and they are all over the house because I love them and cuddle them like my dogs. I would love to get a female ostrich and hand rear her and have her sit on the couch with me, but as you said, my husband would kill me too..

Although the forum, Hedz, is titled ‘Ostriches, Emu, and Rheas,’ we get little info about this ratite. I, for one, look forward to your posts.

Some pictures with the chicks' age, features, diet, etc., would be a great start.

Supreme Emu
Western Australia

Last edited:
What is the going rate for ostriches (at different ages) in the U.S. these days? There is still really no market for them right? And being big and dangerous I dont see them as being the next emu-style pets.

I must say im kind of fascinated about the whole rise and fall of the ratite industry in general, seems just VERY recently in India they went through the whole same thing as we did back in the early 90's. Pyramid emu scheme with the schemers making out like bandits and thousands of farmers left with emu flocks that no one wanted.

What are emus like as pets? Aren't they quite vicious, too?

oh yeah.. they will rip your arm off for hugs
gig.gif
(sorry.. just HAD to say that since my boys will rush me for snuggle time)
and the poo? on a scale from 1 to 10 where 3 is chicken and 7 is goose

uhm... bigger bird = bigger poo....
I'm not sure if you are asking about... size, odor, mess ...or just what...

Back
Top Bottom