A fox tried to take my Abbey

Losing a duck is heart-wrenching for me. So far, we have not lost any to predators, but I know they are around, watching, waiting for me to make a mistake.

At the same time, I feel that the fox is simply trying to make ends meet, to feed the kits. But I tell them, and the hawks and the others - not with my flock, you don't!

Yes I now need to find a new home for my other duck so he won't be alone. I feel so bad for him. She was all he knew for a companion. I know I could get another duck but I just can't handle the pain of losing them. I know people here on this post probably don't live in Lincoln, Nebraska but any suggestions for where to find a good home? I'm hoping for a place where he would be more of a pet than just another farm animal. I have spoiled him a bit
big_smile.png
Here is a picture of him.
This is a picture of the both of them together when they were still getting their grown-up duck feathers! I miss her so much.

There is a Where Am I Where Are You forum, you can probably find a thread for your area, and a Free Rehoming forum where you can post.

Again, sad for your loss.

The foxes that came into our house yard only did so in full dark. I had one come up the driveway on a misty rainy day. It really helps to understand more about the predator/prey relationship - any time there is reduced visibility, a fox feels it is a good time to hunt because it is easier. I was furious with the fox that took my Talli, she was so precious, my first rescued duckling, at 5yrs had a broken wing (from dogs) that got amputated, lived through that to live another 5 years....And move in here and get eaten. I swore I would kill it when I found it. But then I saw him and he was beautiful and I couldnt hate him, I knew he was just doing his best to survive and it was my fault for leaving them out in the dark. Talli was born wild and I felt to her that was more natural than slowly dying of old age, and at least the foxes use their whole kill and dont do it for fun...Like the dogs that attacked killing my goose and Talli's mother Gwen when Talli's wing got broken.

I also need the rabbits controlled....So he is welcome to stalk those. More than welcome, just stay off the ducks! Not that my big girls would mind too terribly if Thorne got chomped...

Abbey's doing well today. He has a nasty swelling at the base of his neck that Im going to have to look at, it might be a haematoma. He spent the night in the big shed, he's not the type of duck that takes handling well. He's eating and drinking and stretching his neck a lot more. He hasnt had a swim but I saw him sitting on the pond steps desperately wanting one.

Here's another reason I thought my yard was fox proof. A few nights ago I worked late and didnt get home till 11:30. My partner told me he hadnt been able to find Shiela even though I told him where to look. I was utterly terrified and sure she wouldnt be there when I got home. Not only was she safely tucked in under the geranium, my partner had not seen Wist in the dark and left him out! As I put them both in the shed I thought surely, if foxes were able to get in they would have taken them both, they were ungaurded in the dark for hours.

Yes I now need to find a new home for my other duck so he won't be alone. I feel so bad for him. She was all he knew for a companion. I know I could get another duck but I just can't handle the pain of losing them. I know people here on this post probably don't live in Lincoln, Nebraska but any suggestions for where to find a good home? I'm hoping for a place where he would be more of a pet than just another farm animal. I have spoiled him a bit
big_smile.png
Here is a picture of him.
This is a picture of the both of them together when they were still getting their grown-up duck feathers! I miss her so much.
He's so pretty, here's the Nebraska thread link... heres hoping you find him a great home and again very sorry for your loss https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/172734/nebraskans-speak-up-nebraska-rocks/770

Okay heres the swelling today I do not like the look of it

I just took these a few minutes ago. Its worse than it was last night. He has less pain, he can stretch out and lift his head, all that no problems, he's only taking little sips of water and nibbles of food. I think that if he had any serious internal bleeding he would be dead already. If someone who has seen serious injuries in ducks could chime in I would very much appreciate it! Do you think this swelling is just local trauma that would go down on its own, or is this much worse - internal bleeding, punctured crop?

I dont trust my local vet after some incidents with my cat, they also dont do birds. Ive called another vet who said they arent bird experts but they can take a look. I dont want to stress him unless its absolutely necessary - Im just not sure if this will start to get better on its own or not. Help!?

Back
Top Bottom