A fox tried to take my Abbey

Here he is today

Perfectly well, PHEW!! He was always a more serious duck but he's completely lost that joyful expression ducks have.
thumbsup.gif
does his neck still look swollen or is that just the way the light is picking it up. Hopefully he'll feel secure again and you'll see the change in his expression. That had to be scary.

That's great news.. Time heals all wounds, as the saying goes.
He actually looked a bit lumpy today, but he's so very happy Im not too worried. I keep a close eye on him but I think because the neck is so mobile he aggravates it a little when he's foraging and such.

Im starting to worry about Leelu a bit. She's always gone off by herself but lately she's been moping and hiding, her feathers look dull and she doesnt seem excited about food or swimming. Because she was sulking in her nest yesterday I worried she was egg bound and put her in a warm bath with a few drops of oil. She did not like this! I felt around, couldnt feel any eggs blocking her up. After that she put on a big show about being a 'healthy duck' and went swimming and foraging. Im just keeping an eye on her for now, but she's so tiny Stormy may be her only child. She obviously has problems with laying.

He actually looked a bit lumpy today, but he's so very happy Im not too worried. I keep a close eye on him but I think because the neck is so mobile he aggravates it a little when he's foraging and such.

Im starting to worry about Leelu a bit. She's always gone off by herself but lately she's been moping and hiding, her feathers look dull and she doesnt seem excited about food or swimming. Because she was sulking in her nest yesterday I worried she was egg bound and put her in a warm bath with a few drops of oil. She did not like this! I felt around, couldnt feel any eggs blocking her up. After that she put on a big show about being a 'healthy duck' and went swimming and foraging. Im just keeping an eye on her for now, but she's so tiny Stormy may be her only child. She obviously has problems with laying.
You might add some vitamins to her water well their water and see if that helps give her a boost. They can sure worry us.

Might he have picked up a systemic infection from all this?
Sorry Im talking about a different duck now! Abbey's looking really great, I'll get some pics up tomorrow Im flat out today. This morning he looked a bit swollen but it goes down quickly. He's very happy and shiny.

Leelu's doing lots of normal duck things but her feathers are very dull and quite dirty - not normal at all for her she is usually immaculate. Her face also looks strained. I'll get some pics of her up tomorrow to and you can tell me what you think. I'll try to get some ACV into her today before I go to work.

Whew, I do lose track. Apologies.

Might Leelu have an infection, though? I have lost two ducks to egg yolk peritonitis - very sneaky infection.
Hmm you got me worried now.

Here is Abbey

Looking brilliant. Im so happy with him. Occasionally he looks a bit lumpy at the base of his neck but I still feel its just local swelling. In the second pic thats my problem drake Thorne giving him the what-for, Abbey's answer seems to be, "I'll stomp you little dude"

Here is Leelu yesterday

She's hiding from the others in the grass

And today

She looks so strained around the face. Now, a couple of things - about 2 weeks ago I started locking the drakes out during the day because they were pestering the ladies too much. Leelu used to get out and bear the brunt of their attentions, hence the shorn feathers on the back of her head. I also had neglected the pond changing over the last 2 weeks because it was raining so much and everyone was swimming in puddles. Today I cleaned everything out and put in fresh water and she had a long bath and preen in the sun. Since the other day when I caught her and gave her a warm bath she has not gone off moping by herself and has ate and drank with much enthusiasm. They are due for worming and the big ladies are looking a bit rough around the edges too. This tiny duck has problems with laying. I have only seen a total of 4 to 6 eggs from her - the first 2 I incubated, another 2 in the shed and 2 tiny little quail sized ones she left in her favourite spots. Her eggs are tiny and very narrow, almost fully elliptical. They are so narrow and pointy I doubted anything could hatch from them. Stormy is her only baby.

Heres a pic of my flock
gathered at the back door waiting for my daughter to throw out her crusts! You can see the big girls are looking a bit dull but not as bad as Leelu.

Back
Top Bottom