A Support Thread For Those Of Us Living In An Egg-Free Zone

I have a Buff Orphington who has only laid one egg since we got them over a month ago and that was the day after we got them home. I hope my picture doesn't upset anyone!

And now, drumroll please:

Our first egg since February! I was hopeful because I spotted my Charlie in the nest this morning, but this egg isn't hers! So maybe I will have 2 laying sometime soon!

I'm going to credit the fermented feed. Off to mix some more! *happy dance*

As I was looking at my Egg Spreadsheet and counting up the days since we last had an egg laid at Bambrook Bantams, I was thinking it would be fun to have a Support Thread for those of us living in an Egg-Free Zone.

I have seen the 'How Many Eggs Did You Get Today' thread but couldn't bring myself to type '0' for 46 days in a row!

Hopefully we can cheer each other on and celebrate when one of us breaks the drought.

So, how many days, weeks, months have you been egg free and why?

We have been egg free for 46 days because I was silly enough to fall in love with chickens that spend more time broody than they actually do laying eggs.

One of my gals went broody, I gave her some eggs and she is still being mumma to her two 8 weeks old chicks. She has not laid for 83 days.
Another of my gals went through a hard moult, she has not laid for 78 days.
One was broody and is now moulting, she has not laid for 69 days.
My little Frizzle was the only one laying an egg for a while there but she also decided to go broody and then moult, she has not laid for 46 days.

The race is on to see who breaks the drought .. at this stage, my money is on one of the two 8 week olds being the first to lay .. that means I only have approximately 3 more months to wait before seeing an egg that I did not have to buy at the supermarket
lau.gif
The eggs being purchased at the supermarket are to scramble and feed to the chickens .. yes, I see the irony
th.gif

And now, drumroll please:

Our first egg since February! I was hopeful because I spotted my Charlie in the nest this morning, but this egg isn't hers! So maybe I will have 2 laying sometime soon!

I'm going to credit the fermented feed. Off to mix some more! *happy dance*
woot.gif

I am back in the egg free zone and have been for a week or so. One of my silkies went Broody and the other decided to stop laying as well, and about a week and a half later my other hen deiced she was going to stop laying and sit a well, I am now getting hatches from the first lot, so hopefully one or both the silkies will start laying again in a few weeks, or our RIR will decide it time for her to step up and start laying.

Back
Top Bottom