A Support Thread For Those Of Us Living In An Egg-Free Zone

I have 1/2 doz eggs on the shopping list today so the girls can have scrambled eggs for breakfast tomorrow
th.gif

Dusty is still the only layer and last week, 2 eggs!

Having said that, Blondie's comb is getting redder and for the first time in ages, I saw her having a peck at the oyster shell and she has been shuffling around in the nest box so maybe, just maybe, we might have two layers soon.

The last time I got 2 eggs in one day was 1st March and that was the last time Blondie laid an egg; she has had nearly 4 months off.

Still got nothin' here in Chile. Winter isn't helping I guess.
I've started fermenting their feed and for the first time they are actually eating the layers' mix. So maybe, just maybe!

What a great thread. I thought I was alone in this. We're down to two "ladies of a certain age", who seem to be feelin' fine and flighty
love.gif
, but lay very little anymore. I haven't actually counted but we've been mostly egg-free for many weeks. And lately on those rare occasions that we do get an egg, the wild birds get it. We have to rethink our nesting boxes and rig them up with the tilted floors so the egg rolls into a holding pocket. And we need to get some new girls. But we've had a lot going on lately so we haven't been able to get to those things. Just loving the 2 that we have for now, and planning for the future.

Congrats on the 3 egg day sjturner79

Howdy casaqueltehue I tried the fermented feed for a good 6-8 months and to be honest, did not really notice a difference in their overall health etc and as they seem to prefer the dry mix and it is easier to keep/feed, switched back.

Hey souriasia you are definitely not alone!

While I am not totally living in a egg free zone now; with 4 x adults and 2 x teenagers [due to lay any week now] I am still only getting maybe one egg a day. There was a gap from the 1st of March until the 19th of July between two egg days.

With moulting, broodiness and the weather, eggs are still a precious commodity around here, but at least they are laying just enough for me to scramble and feed back to them
wink.png

Love the pics!

Last edited:
Thanks @Teila! After I posted I went out to take photos of our nesting boxes so I can plan my rehab, and found an egg!
woot.gif
And then when I got closer, I saw that the wild birds had already gotten it!
somad.gif
I'm working on my plans to hopefully remedy that right now.

Back
Top Bottom