Absolutely silent rooster?

CityGirlintheCountry

Green Eggs and Hamlet
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Middle TN
Back in May I sold a young cockerel to a lady, along with a couple of pullets. They were hatched out in March (making them all about 6 months old at this point). She is wanting a couple more pullets, so we have been emailing again. She mentioned that the rooster is not crowing yet. Odd, I thought. I asked if he made the random roostery noises that my boys make- the growlings and grumblings, the egg call, the yummy treat call, etc. She replied that he makes no noise at all. Nothing.
idunno.gif

Does anyone have any idea why this boy is silent? I have had some late crowers, but they are usually pretty verbal other than that. She also mentioned that he doesn't call the girls over to get treats. He just gobbles them up himself. That I could chalk up to him still being young, but the silence is really weird. I just thought it really strange.

He is a pure ameraucana and is around 6 months old.

I had a white Japanese roo and hen in with a whole bunch of other breeds in our grow out pen. I noticed while he was in the grow out pen that he never crowed. Once I put him and his lady into their own pen he began to crow. It seemed like he didn't feel like he was king of his castle until he actually had his own castle.
lol.png

It sure is strange about your ameraucana roo though - maybe he's just a late bloomer.
hu.gif

I have a Standard Cochin rooster that doesn't crow. He CAN crow, I've heard him many times over his two years...but it's like he just doesn't enjoy it or something. He has a weird deep voice so I can tell when he does, but he might crow once every three months or so! Every morning I hear my OEGB and DCGB roo's crowing like crazy and my turkey's gobbling but nothing from Harvey!

Huh. This boy is the only rooster at his new place. He is the head man. I know he heard roosters crowing during his formative months as he was outside in a grow out pen next to my main pens. There are four other boys out there that crow like mad all day long. He didn't crow before he left. I'm pretty sure he made chick noises though, which would indicate that he is not physically unable to make noise. Very strange.

I too have a cochin bantam roo just coming up on 1 yr old who doesn't crow, nor does he make the usual rooster sounds or share treats he finds. He whines like a hen to get to the treats first so I consider him one of the girls LOL. Not crowing isn't such a bad thing
big_smile.png
However I hate the fact he doesn't take care of the girls the way he should. Nubs has always been a lil different then the rest. I think he had a pretty rough life before I took him in.

Oh , I love rooster noises. They are so very verbal and funny. One of favorite things is sitting out in the yard listening to them.
smile.png

It will be interesting to see what happens with his offspring. It would be cool to have a silent breed for those that can't have noise. I'll get her to keep me posted.

Someone from the araucana club had the same 'problem' but the offspring were normal, vocal roosters. That was only the first generation, however. If he had been breed to his daughters and then granddaughters, maybe the offspring would be so close to him, that they might have come out with a quiet one.
Rooster noises don't bother me, and I can have all the farm noises I can muster up, but it would be nice to be able to reproduce quiet roosters for people that need to have top secret chicken operations, for whatever reasons.

Back
Top Bottom