ADOR1 Automatic Coop Door?

Can you use a timer on the pullet-shut?? I interested but I have one chicken who doesn't go into the coop until it's dark.
I'm afraid she would get shut out every night. If you can use a timer this would work better for me. Thanks.

Thank you everyone for replying! I have heard only great things about the pullet shut door, but I am a little nervous about the way it opens. We live in Oklahoma and the weather here is anything but standard and predictable. In the winter we get down into the single digits, last summer our high was 112°F, and our wind gust are a force to be reckoned with. I am a little wary of the ADOR1 door because they have created a couple of BYC usernames and "inconspicuously" post good reviews about their door. I'm not sure I like that..... Oh and by the way Fowlplay: I LOVE YOUR COOP!
Thank you do you think I could put an automatic coop door in my coop I can build it any size because I currently have a huge door at the end to scrape all the manure out of the coop.

Thank you for your response rendezvous! The features you mentioned are the same ones that drew me to that door. I really like that you can set the sensor's sensitivity to allow late nighters a chance to get in. I'm just a little reluctant to be the first to buy anything I guess.... I'm really hoping somebody on here has it and will either save me the money, or make me feel better about spending $200.00 on a DOOR! The doors in my house don't even cost that much :p I guess that just shows every one my priorities in life.

Fowlplay: if you are wanting to keep the large door to scrape out manure, I personally would mount to a stationary wall. There will be wires and a sensor/timer that probably shouldn't be knocked around a lot. It might bump your timers setting or break your sensor. That's just my opinion though. I personally plan on treating whichever door I get like a glass sculpture, hoping to use my investment for several years. But, I'm cheap!

Lauren, Thank you so much for posting a reference to AdorStore.com and for asking who is AdorStore...yes, we are new. In fact, we JUST became a sponsor and made this username and this is my first AdorStore post! Don't be wary. We may be new but we are here to serve the community with good products. That starts with answering any questions from you.

We just became a sponsor and starting tomorrow our banner ads will be up. Anymore, you won't see us ONLY on Chickens or Hobby Farms. I know we have bunches of customers that must come to this forum from time to time. So ya'll ...(in Texas we say "ya'll" ) please step up and tell this community what you know about the ADOR1 ... better from users than from me.

ROD

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks nice but I wanted to keep my vertical space above the door open so I choose the pullet shut door and love it. I do not have the dusk to dawn sensor(wish I had now) but it was very easy to install and seems pretty much bullet proof from dirt, mud, sand, rain(lots of rain in NW) and grand-daughters(one stood on it when it was open). I have the solar charger panel facing south and even in the NW have never had the battery get low. Post your results if you go with the Ador1 door.

I've noticed many of the methods for automatic doors use the vertical space above the door. Especially the string pull types. The box has to be above the door at its highest point unless maybe pulleys could be used to lessen the vertical clearance you need.

I see the Pullet Shut has the advantage of not taking up much room, neither above nor to the side. So I wanted to mention I think that is a good feature. The ADOR1 also needs vertical height if mounted vertically. But I would answer the implied question "does the ADOR1 need vertical space above the door?" and my answer would be to mount the ADOR1 horizontally in such case...it works either way. Admittedly, the dimensions of the ADOR1 opening favor vertical mounting.
-ROD

Last edited by a moderator:
The ADOR1 is the new kid on the block. It looks like they have a well designed product.

I like the gear drive and the photo sensor with advanced features and a delay. That addresses the minor problems that I have with the Poultry Butler. The string has gotten jacked up once and my coop is in a shady spot so the door closes too early with the photo sensor, so I have it running on a timer.

I would buy it.
Before I duck out of here (I don't want to wear out my welcome)... I've just got to say to you, Rendezvous, that you are right that we ARE the 'new kid' (I'm no kid anymore...more like a goat
smile.png
).

And you hit a few high points here for people who aren't familiar with the ADOR1, so I just want to say I'd love to answer any specific questions that aren't answered on AdorStore.com. So if in this thread there are questions that only I can answer then I'm here for that. In time there will be more and more people who will mosey in and volunteer experiences for the ADOR1 just as you have had for customers of other products.

Rod
AdorStore.com

I made mine from the automatic car antenna plans. It works very good. Cost was very minimal. Used a timer and two 12 volt power supply. I have a video on You Tube of it working.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom