all who are hatching quail

Tomorrow I have my second batch (1st A&M) of Cots going into lockdown. Exciting!! My its hatch Pharaohs are almost 4 weeks, and the funniest, most entertaining little things.

What is the deal with them rushing me when I open the door? They're quite friendly, but honestly, my cat sits and waits for a little feathered popcorn to get loose! LOL

Good luck to all who hatch this week!!

Very Nice!
wee.gif
That is awesome that they are coming out now.

I had one break shell yesterday, and 3 more are rocking. I think um up to 25, if the 3 rocking actually break shell, that will be 28/38.

Great hatch rate! I'm up to 35 I think. I have 3 with issues that I assisted hatching, I'll never do that again. Read up and thought I was doing I good thing
hu.gif
. One has a crooked neck, one had half it's yolk sack with veins and all hanging from the umbilical cord so after reading up clipped it off, and it's doing ok but struggling and has crusted feathers, the other has spradle leg. I woke up to 3 more in the incubator and one has curled toes. Not sure if I will be trying to fix the toe issue on the one in the incubator. It's really hard to but braces and doctor tiny quail I'm learning.
hmm.png
I'm going to go to incubator forum to do some reading and ask questions. I know you are not supposed to open the incubator but I opened it after some of the older ones started jumping into the light bulb (ouch) and the older ones would pick at the newly hatched ones umbilical cord sight. sigh. This has all been a really get learning experience but next time I will use a better incubator or figure out some remedies. I am happy with how many have hatched so far considering all the fluctuations and was hoping for about 50%.

Thinking of hatching my quail eggs but I've never done it. I'm not I. The position to purchase an expensive incubator at the moment as I'm trying to sell my house.

I came across GQF's website and saw their small table top chick-bator w/ 4 quail eggs. It seems super cheap in price to me but has anyone ever had success with this particular one ?

Great hatch rate! I'm up to 35 I think. I have 3 with issues that I assisted hatching, I'll never do that again. Read up and thought I was doing I good thing
hu.gif
. One has a crooked neck, one had half it's yolk sack with veins and all hanging from the umbilical cord so after reading up clipped it off, and it's doing ok but struggling and has crusted feathers, the other has spradle leg. I woke up to 3 more in the incubator and one has curled toes. Not sure if I will be trying to fix the toe issue on the one in the incubator. It's really hard to but braces and doctor tiny quail I'm learning.
hmm.png
I'm going to go to incubator forum to do some reading and ask questions. I know you are not supposed to open the incubator but I opened it after some of the older ones started jumping into the light bulb (ouch) and the older ones would pick at the newly hatched ones umbilical cord sight. sigh. This has all been a really get learning experience but next time I will use a better incubator or figure out some remedies. I am happy with how many have hatched so far considering all the fluctuations and was hoping for about 50%.

I open up the incubator to remove chicks that are a day old, and put them in the brooder. I did not fully remove the lid, just cracked it enough to get my hand in, and had no issues. It also helps to keep them from getting too bored or crowded.

I have never tried an assisted hatching, but I do know that it is really tricky to do right. None of mine had physical defects so I haven't had to worry about that. A couple had the umbilical cord still attached, and after they were dry, I just clipped it.

I counted egg shells last night, as officially have 25/38. I know one is a dud egg, and one died while hatching, but the others are unknowns. I believe I will get one more, but that is it (float testing tomorrow). That is about a 65% hatch rate, so not great but not bad either, the breeder I got the eggs from is not very reputable for having clean birds, and they are really overcrowded. I figure its not bad for a first shot.

I am also looking at building an incubator that can live in my shop (also where the quail will live) so it needs to be impervious to external fluxuations. I have an old mini fridge that will likely become the body for the incubator.

Thinking of hatching my quail eggs but I've never done it. I'm not I. The position to purchase an expensive incubator at the moment as I'm trying to sell my house.

I came across GQF's website and saw their small table top chick-bator w/ 4 quail eggs. It seems super cheap in price to me but has anyone ever had success with this particular one ?
Honestly, I wouldn't waste my money on the chick-bator, I don't have one, but I read reviews like crazy trying to find a good, cheap incubator, and apparently it is awful. For about the $20-$40 (depending on what you have at home) You can build a cooler-bator that would work a lot better. Mine holds temp perfectly and I'm super proud of stuff I make myself!!! Just search the forums for DIY incubators or click the coops button at the top of the site and go to incubators.

Quote:Honestly, I wouldn't waste my money on the chick-bator, I don't have one, but I read reviews like crazy trying to find a good, cheap incubator, and apparently it is awful. For about the $20-$40 (depending on what you have at home) You can build a cooler-bator that would work a lot better. Mine holds temp perfectly and I'm super proud of stuff I make myself!!! Just search the forums for DIY incubators or click the coops button at the top of the site and go to incubators.
Thanks, I figured it was too goo to be true type of thing...I'll take a look at building one myself!

Here are a couple of pics of my home made incubator. It is made from a wine refrigerator. Heater coil is a replacement unit for a gqf sportsman. Fan is a 120mm lighted fan for a computer and the controller is a digital model from china ordered from amazon. It holds temp very well.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
Hey all. New guy here just getting into quail. I got my 1st quail about 2 weeks ago. I also got 10 eggs to try and hatch. Well, this afternoon marks day 14. I took them off of the turner and increased the humidity to around 60. With any luck, I hope to have a few more quail in a few days.

Hey all. New guy here just getting into quail. I got my 1st quail about 2 weeks ago. I also got 10 eggs to try and hatch. Well, this afternoon marks day 14. I took them off of the turner and increased the humidity to around 60. With any luck, I hope to have a few more quail in a few days.
good luck hope they hatch for you.

Back
Top Bottom