Aloha Chicks - 25+ LIVE CHICKS -Will Ship Anywhere!

alohachickens

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 14, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I started a project years ago, before Swedish Flower Hens were imported to the US, to try and re-create the breed here from existing American stock. I was helped by a very odd banty of unknown breeding, who had the most unusual color. You can read all about the project here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-aloha-chicken-project

Article has TONS of photos! Check it out!

The birds in that article are my Foundation stock and contain NO SWEDISH FLOWER bloodlines.

Today, I have started to mix a dash of the Swedish Flower into my Alohas, and most of this spring's chicks will be 1/2 to 1/4 Swedish.

I am looking for new breeders interested in developing this project. The goal is a Non-Crested single combed bird. Dual purpose, long tail, body type similar to Speckled Sussex, but with yellow legs and in a wide variety of mottled colors. The Aloha should in general, show more white spotting than a "regular" Speckled Sussex whenever possible, and brighter colors (golds, reds) are preferred over the darker colors (black, mahogany.)

The difference between Alohas vs. pure Swedish would be two things 1.) Greater genetic diversity as cross-breeding and new bloodlines would always be allowed 2.) More colors, including the ability to create new colors if desired. (I will be working on introducing Dun Mottled, for example, next year.)

Note that current Alohas are small, have different colored legs, and there is much variation in type. This would be for a box of "starter" project chicks, not a finished flock. This is truly a project, not a finished breed. Because so few exist, I am only interested in selling to breeder homes interested in keeping a rooster or two and either hatching out chicks or selling hatching eggs.

Alohas are attractive, alert, tough, excellent fliers, and good layers of small to medium tinted eggs.

PRICE IS FOR 25 LIVE CHICKS! More can be added (up to 50 chicks per shipment) at reduced cost!

Your chicks would be shipped this Spring. A small deposit of $25 would be required when the eggs are in the 'bator and candled as developing, with the balance due via Paypal as they are hatching. (Right before they ship.)

Please note price for chicks is so high because they would be sent via EXPRESS mail. Shipping + box charges will be $50 which means the actual price I'm charging per live chick is only about $2 each. I have positive Ebay feedback, and I also have shipped boxes of Live chicks previously. (All chicks on previous shipments arrived safe.)

Shipping charges are non-refundable but if something were to happen to the chicks along the way, the cost of the chicks (excluding shipping) would be 100% refundable. I am a trustworthy seller and can provide references if needed. Very few Aloha chicks have been offered for sale, because shipping out of Phoenix is difficult due to our heat. Post office only allows shipping if temps are under 85. We have had 90 degree temps as early as February and we have 100 degree temps regularly into October. Because of this shipments can only go out a few weeks every year.

Feel free to check out my Blog or the Aloha Chickens Thread to read more! Thanks!

BYC Thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/600281/the-aloha-chicken-project

Blog: http://alohachickens.blogspot.com/

Aloha

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your kind comments! Very excited about a couple of new baby roos.

Got a return of the "Pumpkin" color, my third in this odd shade, but this time finally got the yellow legs I wanted to go with it:

Past roos in this color:

These two boys had such a neat color, but both had the "slate" legs. This is the first with the yellow legs I'm breeding towards.

It's been fun seeing brand new colors come up in my line of chickens! These are more than just a mixed breed; there was a very odd Banty-sized hen who started the unique line, and that's where some of these bizarre colors and patterns have been coming from. I never know what I'm going to see next! LOL!

I'm considering this... we are zoned for chickens, but the neighbors across the street hate them... so thus far we have not kept a rooster. But hubby and I were discussing that we might go ahead and keep one, seeing as how the neighbor behind us got a lamb, and she's plenty loud. :D Hmmmmmm, so tempting. I have been following your project. :)

I would so LOVE to get in on this! I'm in Phoenix as well, and unfortunately do not have the zoning or room for it :( Maybe in a few years when I get my farm ;) Keep up the good work though!

Just a quick heads up to anyone considering this.

I have worked with her and she is a FABULOUS shipper! I paid for 25 chicks and got more than 30. All alive, healthy and in great shape. She does a superb job of keeping you in the loop in regards to shipping dates and the like.

I would highly recommend Aloha for anyone interested in in the project!

Hi, I'm interested in being part of your program. I love the colors and the concept behind them! Please pm me with any further info. Thanks so much!

I just wanted to bump this classified up a bit!

Things are in full swing here. I have six breeder pens set up, two here and four at friend's houses. Here are the possible combos:

* Two pens containing a pure Swedish roo (non crested, black tail) over smaller but very colorful Aloha hens. (These roos are father and son.)

* One pen containing a pure Swedish roo (non crested, blue tail) over one crested Swedish hen and a few colorful Aloha hens.

* One pen containing a half Swedish, half Aloha roo over very spotted pure Sussex and half Sussex, half Aloha hens.

* One pen containing a big Aloha rooster, barred with lots of white, from Buff Rock and NHR lines, over pure Swedish, Aloha x Swedish, and Aloha x Sussex, and a few pure Aloha hens.

* One pen containing a pure Swedish roo over smaller Aloha hens, plus a pure Sussex, and an Aloha x Sussex hen.

It's a huge variety of bloodlines and lots of potential colors. If anyone is interested in working on this program, this is THE chance to do it. The window to ship Live chicks out of Phoenix is very narrow. Right around the time the rest of you guys are finally starting to thaw out, Phoenix gets boiling hot. The hens slow down laying when the heat sets in, and then it gets too hot to ship.

Here are some more recent photos of Alohas:

All the above photos are of chickens that will be included in the breeding pens.

Can ship chicks out April 23, April 29, and May 3rd. I will probably break up the breeder pens soon after that.

Back
Top Bottom