Alternatives to Bullets

Pics
Llamas would be awesome. Checked with my township. I can't have 4 footed creatures...stupid. I could have 15 great danes who make a world more mess than 1 llama or a mini horse. But it is what it is.

At least I can have poultry. I considered a couple turkeys or a peacock for daytime pred protection. But turns out really not necessary and would only upset the neighbors surely.

It's the night that is the problem. Although in 10 years I have seen 2 fox in the daytime, not ill and 1 raccoon.

Just a bit much on the "SSS" and "no longer with us" on a thread started against these measures. It's offensive.

ETA: punctuation

Last edited:
my alternative to bullets is arrows. :) very seriously not kidding at all. but your not going to be sitting there waiting at every moment. I have many layers of protection. 4' fence surrounding my property, many coops all completly secure from everything except maybe minks. you think a fox is bad just wait until you have to deal with any member of the mink family, most can get through any hole that a mouse can, I set little box traps with rat traps inside, minks will devastate a flock overnight and return until the mink is dead. I have 6' chainlink fences for my runs that are covered in poultry netting. I have traps set 24/7 365. a dog. and last but not least my freerangers... I do not want them to get killed but id rather them then my show birds a $50 a pop... im a heritage RIR breeder and they are my main focus. these birds are locked up tight but have access to a 10x30 runs. and if you build a big enough outdoor run and dont put to many birds in it then they wont completly destroy all the vegetation and turn it into a mud pit... I dont like mud pits either. and ohhhh cant forget Sassy our Llama.... she will kill any 4 legged predator she can sink her claws into. in 3 years I have lost about 30 birds, mainly to a mink, I also had a fox kill about 6 birds in one night... me and the Llama took care of the fox, she almost killed it and it never came back... had a coyote take a turkey a couple weeks ago... I had to stake that sucker out with game cameras and wait... I missed it but it never came back either. Iv had a couple birds killed by raptors... nothing can be done about raptors just leave them alone and lock up the birds. they will leave if the food source does.

keeping livestock will always bring in unwanted guests of all shapes and sizes but the ones that cause the most problems you will never see... just gotta figure out what works for you and geter done. im a hunter and have no problems taking care of a predator but its not my first line of defense.

good luck

my alternative to bullets is arrows. :) very seriously not kidding at all. but your not going to be sitting there waiting at every moment. I have many layers of protection. 4' fence surrounding my property, many coops all completly secure from everything except maybe minks. you think a fox is bad just wait until you have to deal with any member of the mink family, most can get through any hole that a mouse can, I set little box traps with rat traps inside, minks will devastate a flock overnight and return until the mink is dead. I have 6' chainlink fences for my runs that are covered in poultry netting. I have traps set 24/7 365. a dog. and last but not least my freerangers... I do not want them to get killed but id rather them then my show birds a $50 a pop... im a heritage RIR breeder and they are my main focus. these birds are locked up tight but have access to a 10x30 runs. and if you build a big enough outdoor run and dont put to many birds in it then they wont completly destroy all the vegetation and turn it into a mud pit... I dont like mud pits either. and ohhhh cant forget Sassy our Llama.... she will kill any 4 legged predator she can sink her claws into. in 3 years I have lost about 30 birds, mainly to a mink, I also had a fox kill about 6 birds in one night... me and the Llama took care of the fox, she almost killed it and it never came back... had a coyote take a turkey a couple weeks ago... I had to stake that sucker out with game cameras and wait... I missed it but it never came back either. Iv had a couple birds killed by raptors... nothing can be done about raptors just leave them alone and lock up the birds. they will leave if the food source does.

keeping livestock will always bring in unwanted guests of all shapes and sizes but the ones that cause the most problems you will never see... just gotta figure out what works for you and geter done. im a hunter and have no problems taking care of a predator but its not my first line of defense.

good luck
mink and weasel...are my worstest fears!! I think the electric will deter them, if they hit it while "weaseling under or through the 1 inch plastic barrier behind the welded wire.

Weasels have a new thing phobia - neophobia...they only come around when things haven't been changed...they are super wary of new and different. How small a change could it be?...simple as removing and replacing (like in a weekly rotation) child's yard toys, sandbox, picnic table, big umbrella... leaving the tractor out nearby on a dry night. I wonder.

Raptors....mesh over the top seems to do it. Also, running criss cross of fishing line or rope works.

Last edited:
Doesn't really make sense, mostly coyotes just jump the fence, they don't need to get a grip on the top. I've seen coyotes scale 6 ft fences in one jump. Crazy but awesome. Also, please keep in mind that the OP is not looking for lethal measures. No offense to anyone, let's just stay on track and keep on helping.

Doesn't really make sense, mostly coyotes just jump the fence, they don't need to get a grip on the top. I've seen coyotes scale 6 ft fences in one jump. Crazy but awesome. Also, please keep in mind that the OP is not looking for lethal measures. No offense to anyone, let's just stay on track and keep on helping.
I checked out making those rollers from PVC for my pain in the but, fence climbing coonhound. Too much work for me... but go for it! I think I read that they have been used with some success. Don't know if I would count on it for keeping a predator out, but for keeping my dumb(by dumb I mean too smart for her own good) dog in...maybe.

ETA....I have a post rail and mesh, she would probably climb the posts. ARGH!

Last edited:
Was the dog penned up? Too funny! My pup Lakota is half American Eskimo dog, half poodle, all crazy. He can jump over anything, body slam his locked pen door so hard it opens, and chase down a rabbit in ten seconds flat. To be fair, he has no idea what to do with a cornered rabbit. When we first got him he chased one up agains our fence, I thought I'd have to pull him off the poor thing, but he just sat down and gave me the funniest look ever, like okay, now what? Then the rabbit shot by him and he gave chase again. He is small but furious!

now theres a dog really doing his job eh! good dog I wish mine would do that!

Was the dog penned up? Too funny! My pup Lakota is half American Eskimo dog, half poodle, all crazy. He can jump over anything, body slam his locked pen door so hard it opens, and chase down a rabbit in ten seconds flat. To be fair, he has no idea what to do with a cornered rabbit. When we first got him he chased one up agains our fence, I thought I'd have to pull him off the poor thing, but he just sat down and gave me the funniest look ever, like okay, now what? Then the rabbit shot by him and he gave chase again. He is small but furious!

Back
Top Bottom