Amber link

The ISA Brown or Amberlink would be your answer. Smallish birds large brown eggs and great feed conversion. I went with the Amberlink because they are slightly larger and better foragers. The cinamon Queen are larger full size birds so the feed conversion is considerable less. One reason I like the comercial brown egg layers(Amberlink and ISA Brown)  is the ease of care because they don't dig their feed out of the feeders and waste it, like my heritage breeds all do. They are also very gentle and curious. Very easy to raise and enjoyable. They have been intensely bred for production by Hendrix Genetics for so many years, that the desire to dig out their feed and waste it is gone. Love em. I also raise show quality brown leghorns and Dominique's and although I really like them, they are not nearly as productive a layer as those developed for commercial production.

Thank You! Very helpful info-I really appreciate the time you took to reply!

I think the ISA brown would be a great choice based on what you said! I am looking for a friendly, compact-smaller bird, that lays very well!

I find it nifty if they seem to waste less food! I know some we have had, over the years, are feed wasters! Knocking it on the floor and dust bathing in it! :cd those sassy birds!

I know this is an older list but i was happy to find it. My young flock is a group of amber link, iso brown, bard roc and two polish ( just because they are cute!). Anyway, all but the polish are the same age, within a week, and doing well but this little one is just tiny. She is feathering out the same but so small. Any ideas?

em new at this what about crossing a chanticleer rooster with a Rhode island red hen to make a amber links ive heard of leghorns being used for a dominate white

You can't make Amberlinks or ISA Brown's. These lines were developed by Hendrix genetics, from years of selective breeding for egg production and egg quality. My 24 Amberlinks have been averaging 166 eggs a week. You will be hard pressed to get this kind of production from any random cross. You will get it from Amberlinks, ISA Browns, or the better production white leghorn strains. I am trying an experiment and crossed my Amberlink hens to ISA brown roosters, believing that they are un related lines, and both extremely productive, so I am hoping to get another generation of super layers, but they are not sex linked. I have over 100 chicks of this cross, and plan to keep 30 layers from it. The chicks are all white, except for 7 that are various shades of brown.

Ok time to bump this thread. I went to Tsc and bought 4 of these they grew so much faster than my sp. Sussex and barred rock... like real fast i thought they were cornish vriss at first. They are about 11 weeks bow and no red comb im praying they are pullets

I picked up 25 pullets from TSC and am wondering if they are a 'broody'. I've got a mixed flock already of 14 hens and 3 roosters, mixed ages too. All adults.
Lucked out and TSC was getting rid of their remaining stock so the clerk gave me an extra good deal if I took all they had, which I did. Very happy to find this thread as I was not sure on the breed tendencies.

IMG_20170629_115100.jpg
IMG_20170704_160545.jpg
IMG_20170704_160625.jpg
I adopted this chick and didn't know what breed he is. I've recently learned he might be an Amber Link. He's 10 weeks old. I was excited to know he's not a meat bird. They have such short lives.

Last edited:
I really like my Amber Link, it ended up being my favorite of the 7 chicks I bought this past march. Mine ended up being solid white and is very docile. It is also the first to start laying eggs. They are small/medium brown eggs with a good solid shell. My terra brown started laying too, but they shell is either paper thin or non-existence, so she lays rubber eggs.

Can anyone tell me how long these chickens live? I was looking for friends for my Americauna who is going on 5 years old and she keeps outliving the Isa Browns given to me. I got two RIR chicks (due to their long life) and two Amberlink chicks (due to their temperament as Louanne is very docile) but I couldn't find anything about their lifespan.

Help?

Back
Top Bottom