Ameraucana or EEs?

Shortperson2002

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
Nc
We got these chicks from TSC and they were hatched on Mar. 2nd.

TSC had their bin labeled Ameraucana, but Im really starting to question this...

3 chicks have had very slow feather growth compared to the three that have had tail and longer wing feathers for a few days now.

Both of the chocolate colored chicks have slate colored legs, long wing feathers, and tail feathers.
The speckled faced (legs have changed) and has slate colored, no tail feathers yet.
The bright tan one with a heart shape on its head has olive colored legs, tail feathers, and longer wing feathers.
The other two have yellow legs, eye liner look, and no tail feathers.

Pictures are shown from most recent to oldest.

We went with the Ameraucana breed since our youngest really wanted blue eggs, now after looking at a lot of images online today of Ameraucanas Im not really sure what we have.

Oh and these chicks HATE to be handled. Im not sure if thats the breed or where they came from but they are very difficult.

Those are Easter Eggers which are a hybrid breed. That's how they typically look. I have an EE who looked like that. Since they're not a true breed, they'll look somewhat similar but not identical like real breeds. You may get blue, green, turquoise, pink, or anywhere in between colored eggs.

I was wondering the same thing about ones we got from our local feed store. They were labeled ameraucanas as well. After researching them more I am pretty certain we have easter eggers. Our chicks looked exactly like the ones you got. I read on another site most of the time when you buy ameraucanas you are in fact getting easter eggers. Our chicks also hated being held at first. Two of our four love attention now.

I was wondering the same thing about ones we got from our local feed store. They were labeled ameraucanas as well. After researching them more I am pretty certain we have easter eggers. Our chicks looked exactly like the ones you got. I read on another site most of the time when you buy ameraucanas you are in fact getting easter eggers. Our chicks also hated being held at first. Two of our four love attention now.

The problem with the Ameraucana mislabeling is the hatcheries which knowingly breed and sell mislabeled birds. Pretty much every major hatchery has EE's and not true Ameraucana. The feed stores order chicks from these hatcheries and sell them as what they bought them as, often without any real knowledge of breed standards or differences and are not actively selling birds deceptively just ignorantly. Then people buy these chicks as purebred and feel they paid for purebred so it MUST be purebred, right? They do not bother to research the birds they plan on breeding and selling and then they breed their chickens and sell the chicks as Ameraucana and so on until it has gotten to the point where it is very hard to find true bred birds anymore.

I find most chicks go through a jumpy phase and often tame down later.

Last edited:
My EE, Harley, was great from day one. When we were coming home, she pushed her way out of the box so she could meet us. She was attached to use and we could't step anywhere without her running over. She went through that rebellious phase but then came back around when she matured. Easter Eggers are adored despite being hybrids.

Thanks everyone, yall are awesome!!! I just had a feeling they were Easter Eggers. My 4 yr old was a bit upset but I explained to him and his older brother that there is still a chance that we may get blue eggs and now green eggs they got all excited again. I think he just liked to say the word Ameraucana ;)

Now I really know what to look for in our next batch of REAL Ameraucanas. But for now I am really excited to have the EEs. Everyone that Ive seen talk about them really loves theirs (which made me feel a ton better about their shyness).

My 6 have had their brooder sitting next to the 3 wk olds i have and I was wondering when would be a good time to introduce them. The 3 wk olds are 2 barred rocks, 2 buff orpingtons, and 2 white leghorns. I read that if I introduce them there will be a lot of pecking (which has me a bit concerned for the little ones especially with their "shy/scarred" demeanor.

Thanks everyone, yall are awesome!!! I just had a feeling they were Easter Eggers. My 4 yr old was a bit upset but I explained to him and his older brother that there is still a chance that we may get blue eggs and now green eggs they got all excited again. I think he just liked to say the word Ameraucana ;)

Now I really know what to look for in our next batch of REAL Ameraucanas. But for now I am really excited to have the EEs. Everyone that Ive seen talk about them really loves theirs (which made me feel a ton better about their shyness).

My 6 have had their brooder sitting next to the 3 wk olds i have and I was wondering when would be a good time to introduce them. The 3 wk olds are 2 barred rocks, 2 buff orpingtons, and 2 white leghorns. I read that if I introduce them there will be a lot of pecking (which has me a bit concerned for the little ones especially with their "shy/scarred" demeanor.

Most EE's do lay blue/green. All of mine do. They are good birds and there is nothing wrong at all with an EE as long as you don't plan on showing them or breeding them to sell as Ameraucana. Watch for the misspelling of Ameraucana with an "I" Americauna. That is not a harmless mistype and pretty much guarantees an EE. Many hatcheries spell it that way on purpose so they can say "different spelling- different breed. We aren't false advertising..." Any breeder that knows the breed will not misspell it. Also beware most Ameraucana breeders you may find locally. Almost all of the ones around here have EE's and won't - as in refuse to accept they are wrong, understand the difference.

I think they should be fine. They could be put in a neutral zone since there's no turf to protect but I think they're still young enough to meet with little to no conflict. Just keep watch, but I'm sure you know that.

Back
Top Bottom