Ameraucana or Whiting True Blue?

They are not a recognized breed, but do breed true for egg color (blue) unlike EE's
They are an unrecognized breed that breeds true for egg color, but not feather color. EEs don't breed true for egg color

I would argue that they still fit under the umbrella that is the term 'Easter-egger,' though. Since the effort was not put in to breed them to a specific plumage coloration or conformation, they aren't admissible into the standard, thus they are a bird of no specific breed that lays colored eggs... otherwise known as an Easter-egger. I guess I don't understand why breeding true for egg color and nothing else would make a difference there. 🤔

I would argue that they still fit under the umbrella that is the term 'Easter-egger,' though. Since the effort was not put in to breed them to a specific plumage coloration or conformation, they aren't admissible into the standard, thus they are a bird of no specific breed that lays colored eggs... otherwise known as an Easter-egger. I guess I don't understand why breeding true for egg color and nothing else would make a difference there. 🤔
Yes they fit the bill for EE's, besides egg color, but the OP is trying to tell which is which so they can separate them and breed them.

My apologies, I think I got confused. I thought y'all were saying that they weren't Easter-eggers at all!

I don't think you can tell a basic EE from a Whiting True Blue, though, unfortunately. Even if it lays a blue egg, so could an EE. Best bet would be to get them in separate orders so you know for sure.

My apologies, I think I got confused. I thought y'all were saying that they weren't Easter-eggers at all!

I don't think you can tell a basic EE from a Whiting True Blue, though, unfortunately. Even if it lays a blue egg, so could an EE. Best bet would be to get them in separate orders so you know for sure.
I thought that too and yeah, agreed. That’s what I was trying to say but didn’t word it right lol

Writings don't have muffs, I believe, and basic EEs do

guess I don't understand why breeding true for egg color and nothing else would make a difference there. 🤔
If you pick an ee chick out at random, there is no guarantee that they will lay a certain color. You can get blue, light blue, brown, green, olive, tan, even white.

Whiting true blues are bred so if you pick one at random, you know it will lay blue

If you pick an ee chick out at random, there is no guarantee that they will lay a certain color. You can get blue, light blue, brown, green, olive, tan, even white.

Whiting true blues are bred so if you pick one at random, you know it will lay blue
Yeah but the feather color is still random and there’s no way to tell them apart from a regular EE just by looking at them.

Yeah but the feather color is still random and there’s no way to tell them apart from a regular EE just by looking at them.
No, but as I said above, basic EEs have muffs (or I guess crests depending on if it was an Ameraucana or CCL parent) and WTBs don't. So if you know you bought however many of each from Murray McMurray, then you can seperate them by looks

Back
Top Bottom