Ameraucana or Whiting True Blue?

Attachments

• 20220201_170850.jpg
    20220201_170850.jpg
    957 KB · Views: 13
I have one hen I know for sure is a Whiting True Blue
How?
If you know who is laying what color egg that may be your best bet. Anything greenish, teal, turquoise, pink, or tan is not from a WTB, eggs should be pale sky blue. Also I will go out on a limb and say your 2 white roos are WTB's because they have a lot of leghorn in them, and I haven't seen many EE's that are all white with no pattern.

I have been getting chicks from Mc Murray's since 1973 and never had anything but quality birds delivered as ordered, with a fairly decent sexing service, they warrant 90% accurate or a credit is issued. The only problem has been with the USPS. Whiting True Blues are not EE's. They are as stated above, not a recognized breed but breed true for egg color despite their varied coloration. The roosters may sometimes have a large red comb instead of a pea comb, according to several reports by flock owners/breeders, due , I am told, by the inclusion of White Leghorns in their breeding program.

I forgot to mention my WTB's have both hens with or without muffs and beards. To confuse things a bit more, I have one who lays an olive egg and no muff or beard. I could not tell an EE bird from a WTB by appearance , but I think I could tell by appearance some WTB's from EE's. I agree it is best to buy them on separate orders.

Murry's EE's look very very close to true Ameraucana. From what they have said for description they are but where not separated for color. It is only the mixed color aspect that makes them EEs. Its confusing because that would make them true except for them being of mixed color.

Anyway, from the looks of it, it will be hard to tell the difference between the two because of this. Looks like WTB have a more sleek body than the Murry EE/Ameraucana. All should lay blue to green eggs.

So how do I know what a true Ameraucana breed looks like?
The main traits of an Ameraucana are muffs and beard, slate colored legs with white or pink bottoms of feet. (Their skin is white, not yellow). Tail held at a 40 degree angle in hens and well spread tail feathers. IMG_7848.jpeg
(Black ones like this have legs darker than slate.)

I had the real Araucanas back in the 1970's and a little later, the Ameracanas. They , both breeds , were good birds, I enjoyed keeping. The WTB's are similar looking and remind me of them in many ways. My memory is getting poor so don't ask me too many details about them. The Araucanas were very friendly but the Ameracanas and WTB's are more standoffish as my memory serves.

Back
Top Bottom