American(Buff, Blue, Lavander,etc.)goose thread! Post pics!

Pics
I work for a dog trainer and we never accept any aggressive behavior with them so I applied that to my big old Embden. We are definitely not friends but he's not going after me.

Last breeding season I made it a point to pick him up and hold him every single day, holding his beak in my hand so he couldn't bite me. He got the point very quickly that I wasn't going to let him bully me and didn't come after me anymore, but ANYONE else who even came near the pen he would charge at and bite if they got close enough.

The downside to this is that you will most likely never have a good relationship with this gander. I didn't mind because I was friends with the rest of the geese but if you only have two or three you might want to follow Ms. Lydia's advice!

here are my kids waiting for there peas. I just came up the drive way they are so funny. my young gander is imitating the older one to a tee they make my day.
this pic. the younger one daring any to come near there food.

here are my kids waiting for there peas. I just came up the drive way they are so funny. my young gander is imitating the older one to a tee they make my day.
this pic. the younger one daring any to come near there food.
They are beautiful. My younger gander imitates my older one too, but thankfully hasn't bitten me yet like my older one has

They are a hoot.

Sometimes he does this head dipping thing while turning one eye to me. It looks similar to how he dips his head in the water to splash himself. Other times he comes in low and snakey like he is trying to sneak up and bite me. Yesterday he tried to bite me as I set their bucket of food in the pen but he got a mouthful of my sleeve instead and I flipped my hand around and caught him by the beak and made him tolerate being hugged and held.

Sometimes he does this head dipping thing while turning one eye to me. It looks similar to how he dips his head in the water to splash himself. Other times he comes in low and snakey like he is trying to sneak up and bite me. Yesterday he tried to bite me as I set their bucket of food in the pen but he got a mouthful of my sleeve instead and I flipped my hand around and caught him by the beak and made him tolerate being hugged and held.
Good for you!! very important that you appear stronger than him. We can do this without injuring them with is important too. I even make my gander back off from me . I walk him backwards till he turns around and leaves. Put your arms out from your side to make yourself look bigger. Oh they can be a handful but gotta love them though it can be hard. lol

More info https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/561849/geese-training

Last edited:
Hey did any body get hit with that snow storm we did my critters survived . My geese saw me with the pea bowl and ran out to me I was giving the chicken some first aren't they so cute. I have to go out and put food in there bowls couple times a day the wild bird are eating all there feed.Well I was going to upload a picture but it won't let me guess I will try later.

Hey did any body get hit with that snow storm we did my critters survived . My geese saw me with the pea bowl and ran out to me I was giving the chicken some first aren't they so cute. I have to go out and put food in there bowls couple times a day the wild bird are eating all there feed.Well I was going to upload a picture but it won't let me guess I will try later.

We got about six inches.. Which is rare for south of Nashville, TN. Usually we get snow twice a year and it's 1-2" of ice, not 6" of powdered snow!!! My dogs are loving it

We got 10" and it starts to snow off and on again. Everyone is fine I had to shovel walk paths for everyone though.
So pretty when it lays in the trees.

Well it snowed in Mississippi we got about 2 inches with none of it sticking just making the roads a bit slippery but that's enough to close Everything down around here a lot of roads were closed but the geese didn't seem to mind at all

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom