American serama thread!

Baby seramas almost 9 weeks, I think they are all hens, but still not sure. and mama hen still takes care of them. <3
IMGP8004.jpg
IMGP8009.jpg
IMGP7939.jpg
IMGP7971.jpg
IMGP7972.jpg
IMGP7986.jpg
IMGP7991.jpg
IMGP7994.jpg

I broke down and brought some of my younger silkied seramas inside. It’s getting down to freezing tonight, and these were late July hatches that mommas have turned loose. The girls stick together, and would probably be fine at 15 weeks old, but I’ll be moving them to a different pen at some point anyway. The male was from another broody, so they need to get used to each other, so that’s another excuse I’m using. Lol
The basket is 10” wide lol
694B3539-7EEB-4881-9CB2-183C8D6ED0C9.jpeg

160g = 5.6oz
382g = 13.5oz
776B68DE-23EB-4713-8687-3082AD3A15D7.jpeg
EFE2691A-EEC5-41DA-88C9-924BA0B24C59.jpeg

I broke down and brought some of my younger silkied seramas inside. It’s getting down to freezing tonight, and these were late July hatches that mommas have turned loose. The girls stick together, and would probably be fine at 15 weeks old, but I’ll be moving them to a different pen at some point anyway. The male was from another broody, so they need to get used to each other, so that’s another excuse I’m using. Lol
The basket is 10” wide lol
View attachment 1584230
160g = 5.6oz
382g = 13.5oz
View attachment 1584231 View attachment 1584232
Tonight we're going down to 27'F

I put the bantams in a small pre-fab coop/run in the screened room. It's cold but w/o wind. I added a heat panel inside the coop & a "thermo cube". It should turn on when temps get down to 35'F. Last week we had a night with a low of freezing. (I didn't trust the thermo cube, so I manually turned it on/off.) Right now we're at 35'F but it's not on yet. Probably b/c the whole thing is protected from the wind, up against the house & a couple degrees warmer......

:caf Here I am waiting for the darn thing to turn on so I can sleep easy tonight.

Tonight we're going down to 27'F

I put the bantams in a small pre-fab coop/run in the screened room. It's cold but w/o wind. I added a heat panel inside the coop & a "thermo cube". It should turn on when temps get down to 35'F. Last week we had a night with a low of freezing. (I didn't trust the thermo cube, so I manually turned it on/off.) Right now we're at 35'F but it's not on yet. Probably b/c the whole thing is protected from the wind, up against the house & a couple degrees warmer......

:caf Here I am waiting for the darn thing to turn on so I can sleep easy tonight.

Is the thermo cube is the outlet thingy that the panel is plugged into? What kind of heat panel?

I have a prefab coop too, and I could put the Brinsea brooder plate or even a reptile bulb in the upper part, but I have 2 yard-bird roosters that sleep in it. :rolleyes: I may just block them out of it and move the seramas to it tomorrow. I just didn’t think of that before dark.

Is the thermo cube is the outlet thingy that the panel is plugged into? What kind of heat panel?

I have a prefab coop too, and I could put the Brinsea brooder plate or even a reptile bulb in the upper part, but I have 2 yard-bird roosters that sleep in it. :rolleyes: I may just block them out of it and move the seramas to it tomorrow. I just didn’t think of that before dark.
Thermo cube (aka "outlet thingy")
IMG_3189.JPG
The cozy legs heat panel has on/ hi/ low /off switch but does not turn on/off by itself. (It does have a safety off if the unit gets too hot, but nothing to regulate the temp.) Since my goal is to keep temps just above freezing, I don't want to have it on all the time - or only when I remember it. So I'm trying out the thermo cube.
*Note: I was too nervous last night, so again I turned it on manually and off this morning. LOL

Here's the little coop in our screened patio. I put it on a tarp with bricks (just what we had laying around) and added shavings.
IMG_3191.JPG IMG_3190.JPG

I modified the tray -hoping the poop would fall through. That experiment didn't go as planned.
BTW- Here's the OEG from you. Digger layed a few eggs & then stopped last month when it got cold. BUTm the serama (Noodle) is laying 5-6 eggs/ week. I never would have guessed that. (I had to lock up my incubators in the attic b/c it's too much temptation not to hatch them. )
IMG_3192.JPG

I hung a nipple water drinker near the heat and hope it will stay liquid.
IMG_3193.JPG

I'm not sure of the capacity of this little coop, but we have 2 seramas, an OEG, & 2 silkies in it. My Leghorn has a big floppy comb, but she also enjoys free ranging. I decided to keep her with the main flock but may temporarily move her into this coop on those below zero days.

I have one very similar to that. I had 11 black copper marans living it for quite some time, and they were much bigger, so I figure your few will be fine! I hung the light up top, which has been changed to an infrared reptile bulb since I took this picture. This is where I plan to move the 5 silkied group for the winter.... maybe.

WP_20161116_07_31_35_Pro_LI.jpg
WP_20161116_07_31_47_Pro_LI.jpg

And just for giggles, since I ran across the pic, when I first bought that coop, it was in my kitchen! I had ducks in the bottom, and made a cardboard platform across the top half of the run, and had a turkey and 2 chicks living in the top half. My dog loved to sit and watch them so I had to give him a chair. :gig
WP_20150403_016.jpg

Back
Top Bottom