American serama thread!

The other thread had a little lock icon on the side, does that mean that the BYC closed the thread, won't allow more "outside" people to post, or what exactly? I'm new and I've been lurking and learning a ton...so thank you!
I have a question about the food. At what age can we stop grinding the food and just give it to them out of the bag? Mine are really going through some feed right now! I think they're raking it out mostly, but I've tried several feeders and it happens on all of them. My youngest chicks are 3 weeks old.
Thanks!
Tina

It got locked because people were getting to be to mean to each other. I really hope that this doesn't happen on this thread. As for the food I grind it up for at least 2 months. Maybe that is to long, but that is what works for me.

Toni-I agree. I was thinking about what I was going to do with that extra 2 hours a day!

Quote:
I usually start mixing the ground up food with real food when they are 2 weeks old. I also have another container of regular size chick starter, so they can pick what they want. Oh, I do watch to be sure they are eating the regular size well before I take out the mix of ground and regular. They start out on all ground for the first two weeks.

Yes it means that thread is closed to new posts.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answers. I'm pleased I can still learn from all of you. Hopefully, this thread will not end up like the other one. It had gotten pretty nasty at times which is why I was a lurker for so long. I'll check back often for more info.
Tina

Here is Phyllis my Silkie Serama chick
smile.png
She or he hatched July 12th. I'm a little worried that Phyllis is a Phil, since my favorites always end up roos. Also there is a little bit of pink starting under the bottom jaw ... like a wattle is going to happen. Who knows though, I don't keep enough of them to an age to sex, to know for sure. Hardly any comb at all though.
Still hoping Phyllis is a girl!!!

80800_img_3209.jpg

I do not have great pictures (yet) of my chicks. But I do have this little chick who was hatched with a little help after a long battle that ended with a shrink wrap. The right leg was splayed and the right foot was curled. Thanks to the threads on BYC, I was able to handle the problems with the recommended boot and yarn tricks. After two days, the little chick was perfect! We affectionately named it Forrest Gump, which turns out it's a roo, so it still works! He's coming along nicely and I'll try to get more recent pictures soon.
Forrest Gump
73254_july_2011_077.jpg

Thanks again for your education here on BYC!
Tina

You know, the more I look at that picture of Phyllis, I think the chick looks more like it should be Elton John ... but there is no girl version for Elton if it turns out to be a girl ... hmmm!

Elton could be Ellie. But I am pulling for phillip. lol. I am really needing more breeding pens. I still have chicks in the brooder and one is ready to go out, but I am not chancing it after the snake incident. I checked the coop about 10 times today and no snake. Maybe it died some where after nearly choking on my new wheaton from nurseshelly. If i find it, it will have hissed his last hiss.

Back
Top Bottom