Ancona Chicken Thread

I don't know about the genetics but you want to watch those aggressive Ancona with the more placid Ameraucana. Expect them to be shoved down the pecking order.

Anconas are not aggressive, only very active, you need to give them the space and then they will not fight.

Last edited:
If you say so. My 2 Ancona hens mount the other hens and go out of their way to assert their dominance. The 16 birds have the run of 5 acres if they want it though they self limit to about 2 acres. Even when indoors in the lower part of the barn, the 16 girls have about 1,000 sq ft (or about 65 sq ft/ bird) so they aren't crowded. Maybe the behaviour of dominant hens is different if there is a rooster in the flock.

Can only express my experience….My Ancona's don't worry about other birds when they free range, when i had them in a run they layed tons of Large white eggs for most of the year

These are great I have some Ancona chicks right now I need some help as I bought 4 female; however one started acting different stretching neck out i thought seems like male behavior now the crown on that chicken is much bigger and darker in color than the rest of them? Is this a rooster? help help lol

These are great I have some Ancona chicks right now I need some help as I bought 4 female; however one started acting different stretching neck out i thought seems like male behavior now the crown on that chicken is much bigger and darker in color than the rest of them? Is this a rooster? help help lol

Post a picture but unless they are close to laying age (> 20 weeks usually), I would say yes it is a cockerel given the comb is much larger and getting red (I assume).

ackchicken
I have 4 Ancona hens 1.5 yrs old and one recently started crowing. This particular chicken also has bright yellow legs and ear-lobes relative to the other hens. I never thought anything of it until now, when she became so noisy. Just curious if there could be a connection. Could the yellow color be a sign of a health problem and the noisy behavior another sign? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi, i was looking for more BYC members with Ancona's and there in not a lot of them,or i did  not find them or a thread

So i decided to do it, I love this Breed,they have a nice  size white egg, and mine  is laying a lot, I only have one hen and one roo,but i have 15 eggs in the incubator, and 5 chicks in the brooder, i want to get a good size flock. well i hope i'm not the only one here.

here is my little flock of two /img/smilies/lol.png   and some baby chicks.

38176_anconas_010.jpg

the  other chicken was a cross from my oncona and a leghorn,she is a really good layer

38176_anconas_005.jpg

ancona chicks

38176_anconas_015.jpg

38176_anconas_014.jpg

38176_anconas_013.jpg

My 6 month old Ancona "Nugget". She's quite the sassy pants!

So far they are very beautiful chickens . i have one rooster and he is pretty starting to get purple in his back feathers but yes love the black and white markings. mine are not laying yet but should be soon. i have thse plus to leghorn tuscan ckickens.

Back
Top Bottom