Ancona Ducks

I was given a crested duckling today to put with my 3 other Duckings that hatched out Thursday. At first I thought they were Pekin, but now I'm thinking my new one (black and yellow duckling) maybe a Ancona Duckling??? Let me know what you think. The 3 I hatched and the new one all cam from the same farm and the lady is unsure of the breeds. TIA

Last edited:
I was given a crested duckling today to put with my 3 other Duckings that hatched out Thursday. At first I thought they were Pekin, but now I'm thinking my new one (black and yellow duckling) maybe a Ancona Duckling??? Let me know what you think. The 3 I hatched and the new one all cam from the same farm and the lady is unsure of the breeds. TIA

Many pekin crosses will have patterns that can be similar to anconas, but that doesn't make them pure anconas. The difference can be seem once full grown as body type, carriage, etc are all very different in pure anconas vs crosses

Many pekin crosses will have patterns that can be similar to anconas, but that doesn't make them pure anconas. The difference can be seem once full grown as body type, carriage, etc are all very different in pure anconas vs crosses

Thanks, I will post pic when it gets bigger for better identification.

Just thought I'd post some more recent pictures of my Ancona babies. I think in this picture they are ~6+ weeks old.

My Cayuga Drake "adopted" these little guys however I lost him to a fox. One of the white ones (hoping it might turn into a silver when mature) got injured by said fox. Pretty sure the drake defended the little guy and got taken instead.

I finally decided that now was the time to get a few Ancona ducks, and I received my small order from Cackle Hatchery today. They seem to have survived the trip and are busy eating and sleeping. I only wanted 2-3 ducks as I want them for pets and for eggs and not for breeding (yet). Cackle only sells them sexed as a trio of 1 drake and 2 ducks. Will this work in the long term or will the 2 ducks get mated to death by the drake? If there is no chance of them getting along nicely, I would rather give the drake away now. But if you have experience with tiny flocks, could you share how they do? Thanks!

I finally decided that now was the time to get a few Ancona ducks, and I received my small order from Cackle Hatchery today.  They seem to have survived the trip and are busy eating and sleeping.  I only wanted 2-3 ducks as I want them for pets and for eggs and not for breeding (yet).  Cackle only sells them sexed as a trio of 1 drake and 2 ducks.  Will this work in the long term or will the 2 ducks get mated to death by the drake?  If there is no chance of them getting along nicely, I would rather give the drake away now.  But if you have experience with tiny flocks, could you share how they do?  Thanks!
it all depends on the drake. In my experience, a 1 to 4 ratio works much better with the hens not getting over mated.

Here are my ancona babies!

Ok not all of them are Ancona..there are two Rouen, two Muscovy and a pekin in there as well.

I have to send three of the ancona to a friend when they are older..no clue how I am going to choose!

it all depends on the drake. In my experience, a 1 to 4 ratio works much better with the hens not getting over mated.

Thanks. So maybe my best option is to raise them together until they are older and see if he is OK with them? If there is a chance that can happen, then I'd happily keep him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom