Ancona Ducks

I have two Ancona ducklings that live with my mixed breed chicken flock. They are about a month old. Their wing feathers-primaries and secondaries-are starting to come in. The flesh around the feather shafts looks raw and meaty. There is some blood on feathers, too. I'm wondering if this is within the norm for feathering difficulties, or if perhaps they are getting pecked.

I have two Ancona ducklings that live with my mixed breed chicken flock. They are about a month old. Their wing feathers-primaries and secondaries-are starting to come in. The flesh around the feather shafts looks raw and meaty. There is some blood on feathers, too. I'm wondering if this is within the norm for feathering difficulties, or if perhaps they are getting pecked.

Sounds like they are getting picked. Try putting blu-kote ovee the raw areas to hide them until the feathers grow in. If that doesn't work, you will probably need to separate them for a week or so to allow the feathers to come in.

I have a female that just started laying eggs like 2 weeks ago and I've been taking her eggs away I would like her to hatch some but what should I lookout for to know if she will or any advice on that subject it's my first time with them

I have a female that just started laying eggs like 2 weeks ago and I've been taking her eggs away I would like her to hatch some but what should I lookout for to know if she will or any advice on that subject it's my first time with them

She should start making nests and then will start sitting on them. Not all ducks will go broody and hatch their eggs though. If she just started laying, give her awhile. She is still figuring it out. When she starts to make nests and sitting, that's a sign she might be ready to hatch, but again, not all ducks will sit and hatch there eggs.

Anyone have one hatch with WHITE down? It has some chocolate, some yellow, and lots of PURE WHITE down. After hatching what seems like a bazillion anconas in the last year, this is a first for us.

Back
Top Bottom