Ancona Ducks

Well you all won't believe what I found yesterday, several months ago I thought my hens idiot and duchess had stopped laying and I didn't think much of it since the winter was starting and the bantam half of my chicken flock stopped laying all together. Well I wasn't finding eggs anywhere in the coop, in their pond or nest boxes but they never stopped the egg laying noises. About two days ago a smell to slap you in the face started around the side of the coop in the process of looking for it I found duchess on the side of the coop making the egg laying noises she was due for a vet appointment because I was scared about a bound egg then pop came an egg. I was so excited! 5ish months without duck eggs and she finally laid one I ran inside to tell my dad and then I came out to grab the egg I noticed the egg was gone and duchess was halfway under the coop (it was a old dog house build on and out of shipping pallets). So I bent down to look for it under the coop and realized where the smell was coming from the flipping ducks had been laying their eggs and rolling them under the coop. All in all I found at least fifty eggs not counting the five or six I found the week before behind the hay and the dozen or I threw away because of the smell. It took me over an hour to get them all out I cut some boards to cover the holes in the shipping pallet that the coop was build on. But it really makes me angry most if not all of the eggs are bad or at least smell that way i'll be candling tonight, and I wasted hundreds of dollars I didn't have on special mail order feed repeated vet visits and a new pond and their was nothing wrong them to begin with.
oh my! That's a find! Ducks, gotta love them!

Well you all won't believe what I found yesterday, several months ago I thought my hens idiot and duchess had stopped laying and I didn't think much of it since the winter was starting and the bantam half of my chicken flock stopped laying all together. Well I wasn't finding eggs anywhere in the coop, in their pond or nest boxes but they never stopped the egg laying noises. About two days ago a smell to slap you in the face started around the side of the coop in the process of looking for it I found duchess on the side of the coop making the egg laying noises she was due for a vet appointment because I was scared about a bound egg then pop came an egg. I was so excited! 5ish months without duck eggs and she finally laid one I ran inside to tell my dad and then I came out to grab the egg I noticed the egg was gone and duchess was halfway under the coop (it was a old dog house build on and out of shipping pallets). So I bent down to look for it under the coop and realized where the smell was coming from the flipping ducks had been laying their eggs and rolling them under the coop. All in all I found at least fifty eggs not counting the five or six I found the week before behind the hay and the dozen or I threw away because of the smell. It took me over an hour to get them all out I cut some boards to cover the holes in the shipping pallet that the coop was build on. But it really makes me angry most if not all of the eggs are bad or at least smell that way i'll be candling tonight, and I wasted hundreds of dollars I didn't have on special mail order feed repeated vet visits and a new pond and their was nothing wrong them to begin with.
I hope that you are now at a point that you can laugh about that because you sure made me! Can't believe all those eggs!!

I hope that you are now at a point that you can laugh about that because you sure made me! Can't believe all those eggs!!

lols
roll.png
tell me about it
he.gif

I haven't been on here in a while, but I had to come back to show you all the little one I just hatched Friday. She has feathered legs!! I also have other babies to share. But I need to get good glamour shots.

I am so excited! I will be picking up 6 Ancona ducks and a Drake tomorrow evening after work. They are from a duck farm north of Canal Fulton Ohio. I got 4 Khaki Campbells there last week. All are just starting to lay........

Back
Top Bottom