Ancona Ducks

Pics
Just a few minutes ago the first one hatched
wee.gif
The shell looks perfect so incubation and humidity were perfect. The other two eggs are working on zipping every now and then you will see a beak pop through the shell and they are working their way around on the inside so I think this will turn out to be a very successful hatch. Today was their hatch day too, so right on time.

Tell me what you mean by "the shell looks perfect". I'm trying to perfect my duck hatch. (If you don't mind) :)

What I look for on the shell is that the membrane is nice and clean with no blood. If humidity is off you will have membranes with quite a bit more blood veins and be a dark pink membrane. Here is a pic of the shells
hopefully you can see what I'm talking about. If you've ever had to go in and hatch to save babies because they started to die and were out of time due to humidity or temps being off you will understand about the blood vessels in the membrane. It's not pretty.
Tell me what you mean by "the shell looks perfect". I'm trying to perfect my duck hatch. (If you don't mind) :)

They are all done hatching. I only had 3 of them due to hatch today. The rest will hatch in February. These were test eggs to check for fertility and I didn't get them out in time and they were already growing pretty good sized babies so I just let them incubate to term. I've got the humidity dropping back down into the 60s so they will be drying off and fluffing up in no time. Will get pics of them when they are fluffed.

Wow. Gorgeous babies. I am extremely anxious for mine to hatch. I ordered eggs from Thistledown. Please post pics after hatching is completed.

Well here are the pics I promised..... Moved them to a tub with a heat lamp, food and water. They are adorable going to let them rest up from that big hatching journey and then they will be in the water making a mess before you know it.
lol.png

OK Thanks. And I do know what you mean by the blood vessels. My last hatch looked just like yours here so I'm sticking with those numbers on humidity. Thanks!

What I look for on the shell is that the membrane is nice and clean with no blood. If humidity is off you will have membranes with quite a bit more blood veins and be a dark pink membrane. Here is a pic of the shells
hopefully you can see what I'm talking about. If you've ever had to go in and hatch to save babies because they started to die and were out of time due to humidity or temps being off you will understand about the blood vessels in the membrane. It's not pretty.

Back
Top Bottom